UnitedHealth Group, the parent organization of UnitedHealthcare and Optum, is one of the world’s leading diversified health care companies.
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It’s an opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
The Finance Director is responsible for providing overall financial leadership to the Commercial business channel, leading a team of 5 staff that provide direct support to UHC Employer & Individual, External Commercial, and our EAP business. Primary functions include leading a team to drive day-to-day business analytics that support strategic business decisions and associated execution, annual and long-term strategic planning, quarterly forecasting, and monthly financial reporting. This leader will be accountable for the day-day development and management of the overall financial performance of the business channel relative to our strategic goals and objectives.
This leader will work with key senior leaders to ensure the business is operating effectively, with sound financial analysis and appropriate financial and operating controls.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Finance owner that oversees all Commercial business across the country, partnering with the Business Channel Leadership Team and supporting business teams to meet the growth and profitability objectives of the business
- Shapes our FI segmented go to market strategy with UHC Employer & Individual across network, benefit design, product and pricing to support enterprise priorities across growth, cost and experience. Includes emphasis on supporting member engagement via time to appropriate care pathways across the acuity spectrum fully leveraging our enterprise assets across network and care delivery (i.e. digital self-help and coaching including Sanvello, AbleTo, EAP)
- Financial thought leader that helps to shape our strategy to monetize behaviorally led interventions that drive total health outcomes
- Shapes our ASO go to market strategy in partnership with Business Channel Leadership and Growth to simplify it while driving competitive pricing reflecting base and buy-up capabilities across each segment (National Accounts, Key Accounts, Public Sector, UMR, All-Savers, IEX)
- Provides financial support and leadership to influence the Growth and Solutioning Teams for new business opportunities, including RFP development and implementations post award, as well as existing contract reviews and pricing negotiations
- Provides leadership to and is accountable for the performance and direction of senior level professional finance staff
- Generates annual financial plans and quarterly financial forecasts for the Business Channel
- Financial analysis will include full spectrum of routine and ad-hoc analysis designed to support an understanding of operations, identification of trend drivers and strategy development
- Monthly analysis of benefit expense results, premium yields, operating expenses, identifying trends, variances and potential performance opportunities and/or concerns within the Business Channel
- Lead development of business/financial case for strategic initiatives or capital investments
- Understand and clearly communicate to key senior leaders both the underlying financial profile and drivers of performance across owned channel, as well as status updates on various ad-hoc analyses and strategic initiatives
- Proactively seek opportunities to improve processes
- Work impacts a large business unit and multiple markets nationally
- Develop and execute strategies and implement controls to support these goals/objectives
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related area
- 5+ years of progressive financial planning and analysis experience in a corporate setting with career progression leading to increased financial responsibility and strategic planning oversight
- Experience reporting to Executive Leadership in a strategic partnership capacity
- Advanced proficiency in a variety of financial planning and reporting software
- Solid working knowledge of financial systems, statements and reports
- Solid communication skills and success partnering with, leading and influencing multiple teams responsible for complex operations
- Ability to complete complex projects and influence change in a fast-paced, matrix environment
- Ability to perform a wide array of situational based financial analysis
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance
- Advanced degree / certifications (MBA / CPA)
- Experience leading a team of finance professionals
- Advanced knowledge of the Commercial Business Channel (3+ years of experience)
- Working knowledge of Essbase, Peoplesoft and Hyperion Planning
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $113,500 to $218,100. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $113,500 to $218,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/AffirmativSe Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected bylower 48 law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.