Trimble is an industrial technology company that connects the physical and digital worlds to help solve complex industry challenges around the world
Job Title: Sector Finance, Senior Director – Public Sector and Enterprise Accounts
Reporting to: Senior Vice President, Public Sector and Enterprise Accounts
Location: Westminster, CO (preferred); other locations considered
Trimble is a global industrial technology company that is changing the way the world works across Agriculture, Construction & Infrastructure, Geospatial, Natural Resources, and Transportation. Our advanced, integrated technology solutions and platforms operate at the intersection of the physical and digital worlds to enhance our customers’ productivity, quality, safety, transparency, and compliance. Trimble sectors are a group of businesses focused on similar customer or industry segments.
Trimble manages the leading global engineering, construction, and infrastructure customers worldwide. We help our customers implement digital project delivery processes and leverage design and construction technologies to deliver more sustainable, safer and better-quality projects, on time and within budget. Working closely with Transportation and Infrastructure Owners and the AEC community, this team provides thought-leadership to solve design, engineering, and data management challenges and improve collaboration and transparency across stakeholders. We leverage emerging technologies that help our customers accelerate project delivery (3D collaboration platforms, BIM, Augmented reality, Machine learning, Autonomy, etc.).
The Finance Senior Director for the Public Sector and Enterprise Accounts Sector is a critical member of the business leadership team, reporting to the sector’s Senior Vice President, with a dotted line to Trimble’s CFO. This position serves as the financial, strategic, and operational business partner for the sector’s Senior Vice President and a confidante and trusted consultant to the senior leadership team. This role is required to help create, articulate, and drive towards a defined business model and endgame. Management of and adherence to the model requires a nuanced view of the business, understanding the key drivers, producing the numbers scorecard, and changing direction to achieve the desired business and financial goals.
In the context of Trimble’s Connect & Scale strategy, the sectors are increasingly central to our decision-making and cross-organizational success. The Public Sector and Enterprise Accounts Sector is a fast-growing and complex mid-range revenue producer. The Sector’s success requires touch points across all Trimble sectors, collaborative partnerships across the globe, and the coordination of four critical businesses within the Sector. This Finance leadership role will help sector management allocate capital/resources in a way that maximizes the potential for industry platforms to expand and increase customer lifetime value.
Strategic and Operational Partner to Business Leaders
- Understand the financial model in all its dimensions and coherently dissect and explain it. Define what is possible in a business model and how to step into that full potential methodically. The goal is to consistently lead Trimble to the top 10% financial performance.
- Provide guidance and support to business leadership that influences a recurring revenue/contract mindset and best practice
- Provide ongoing insights and analysis of business trends and performance
- Provide financial counsel on major business decisions and controls while safeguarding the company’s assets
- Drive strategic aspirations to executable steps and ensure that capital (financial and human) is allocated to achieve strategic objectives
- Provide financial leadership to the defined emerging regions, complex projects, and enterprise accounts
- Define the vision and the endgame: a succinct and long-form long-range plan (LRP) that backward integrates and is inclusive of mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
- Balance risks and opportunities to meet sector and corporate goals
- Lead the target-setting process, develop the line item trends, and perform deep-dive analyses on target variances
- Drive scalable and consistent processes to enable operational excellence in business planning, forecasting, and reporting
- Partner with business leaders to develop business case and story
- Create a robust and reliable P&L model that reflects a disciplined acceptance of risk
- Capital Allocation: maximize the potential of our industry platform
- Understand the go-to-market model economics and know the financial levers to optimize top-line bookings and revenue growth
- Manage the rhythm of the business, including monthly close
- Monthly Business Reviews (MBRs), Quarterly Business Reviews (QBRs), and budgeting
- Quality and predictability of forecasts
- Apply qualitative judgment to quantitative analysis
- Own the cost model
- Management of the sector’s operating expenses
- Compliance and Controls: an appropriate level of controls to ensure the integrity of our financial statement
- Ensure controls are being set and followed (e.g., SOX narratives, journal entry review/controls)
- Review major contracts to assure accounting treatment is following corporate and US GAAP policy
- Ensure that the Business Leaders know the model: market size, penetration, exposure to, and understanding of the macro-economic drivers
- Play a supporting partnership role regarding resource allocations, planning, forecasting, cost management, and compensation plan design participation
People and Organizational Leadership
- Lead, manage, and develop a small finance team: provide coaching/mentoring, set priorities, manage clear expectations, raise the bar to ensure a high-performing team
- Mentor finance and non-finance people with a focus on Trimble culture, leadership characteristics, and collaboration
- Prepare for QBR, Board of Directors, and acquisitions
- Create and execute rotational assignments/key experiences
- Acquisition assimilation and connection to Trimble
- Solid understanding of Revenue Recognition and Lease Accounting
- Ability to utilize systems and tools for business process improvement (e.g., ERP, CRM, BI) and analyze the data from them for decision making
- R&D spending and efficacy of expenditures by type
- Solid understanding of sales operations best practices
- SKU reduction metrics and execution
- Strategic pricing
- Drive process streamlining (e.g., approvals process)
- Effective advocacy with influence to move the needle across the organization
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Data Science, or related field and 10+ years of post-graduate financial analysis, accounting, controllership, or finance work experience.
- OR Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Data Science, or related field and 8+ years of post-graduate financial analysis, accounting, controllership, or finance work experience
- OR equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
- An accomplished professional with strong knowledge of allocating capital and providing financial, strategic, and operational guidance
- Experience understanding and conveying financial data
- Experience with and knowledge of the marketing of products and services to large and complex public sector clients
- Knowledge of professional services businesses and the drivers of business success unique to professional service business models
- Possess an interest in Trimble’s business with a willingness and ability to understand the business and its drivers
- A strong leader with demonstrated team-building skills and people management experience who leads with Trimble’s values by example. Poise, confidence, and executive presence are essential.
- Polished interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated drive, including the ability to effectively manage multiple projects, dynamically shift prioritization, operate with both attention to detail and big picture focus, and work effectively within and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to collaborate and be comfortable dealing with ambiguity, including influencing across multiple complex organizations
- A problem-solver with a practical and realistic approach who does not hesitate to make recommendations or take decisions with sometimes imperfect information
- Self-motivated, results-oriented, and tenacious with a strong work ethic; “can do” attitude with a strong alignment with Trimble’s culture
- A robust set of personal and professional ethics with unquestionable integrity
- Ability to thrive in a complex and constantly changing environment
PREFERRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience of transformation from a perpetual licensing model to a recurring revenue or subscription model
- Experience with distribution channels to market and with hybrid hardware, software, and data services business models
Trimble provides the following compensation range and general description of other compensation and benefits that it in good faith believes it might pay and/or offer for this position. This compensation range is based on a full time schedule. Trimble reserves the right to ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and offer additional benefits and other compensation, depending on circumstances not related to an applicant’s sex or other status protected by local, state, or federal law.
Trimble offers comprehensive core benefits that include Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Time off plans and retirement plans. Most of our businesses also offer tax savings plans for health, dependent care and commuter expenses as well as Paid Parental Leave and Employee Stock Purchase Plan.
Trimble Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D