Baker Tilly is a full-service accounting and advisory firm.
Are you looking to join an entrepreneurial firm, which is one of the fastest growing in the US? Are you inspired and make a difference for your clients?
If yes, consider joining Baker Tilly LLP (BT) as a Director leading our Washington National Tax Practice! Our Washington National Tax Practice serves as a resource to the firm to provide insight to all aspects affecting tax including tax laws, tax compliance and tax consulting. Our team works closely with our offices to provide tax services to evaluate tax issues and mitigate tax risk. This is a great opportunity to be part of a growing Practice and be viewed as one of the “go-to” tax experts in our firm. This role plays in a National space and you will provide services around technical tax issues and counsel internal and external clients on all tax aspects of business transactions while also leading our WNT 15 team members.
An ideal candidate will:
- Enjoy partnering with other tax professionals in the firm, researching complex tax issues, offering suggestions for tax planning and proper structuring of transactions, and analyzing new developments to provide explanations and planning recommendations.
- Be a prolific writer who enjoys creating thought leadership on key tax issues and working with marketing to ensure a high level of information is disseminated internally and externally
- Enjoy networking and attending speaking engagements for the firm.
- Have a visionary mindset for Baker Tilly’s WNT team of the future, continually contributing to the growth, experience, and institutional knowledge of BT tax and tax practice team members.
What you will do:
- Be a valued tax business advisor providing consultation, research services and technical expertise to BT professionals throughout the firm.
- Consult on technical matters and special projects in various areas of corporate and flow through taxation, accounting methods, and ASC740
- Monitor and analyze new legislative, regulatory and administrative developments
- Provide planning consultation with others regarding entity selection and entity reorganization, as well as reviewing compliance reporting of complex issues.
- Research various tax matters, responding to IRS and other tax authority inquiries, and make recommendations to the client for consideration
- Coordinate with specialty tax practices on complicated tax matters in the state and local, high net worth, international, research and development along with credits and incentives areas
- Prepare training programs and present internal webcasts around various aspects of the law, and lead other internal tax education sessions within the firm.
- Lead, participate and contribute to market and business development activities external to the firm, including identifying and pursuing new potential client service opportunities by collaborating with other BT professionals
- Utilize your entrepreneurial skills to network and build strong relationships internally and externally
- Invest in your professional development individually and through participation in firm wide learning and development programs
- Support the growth and development of team members through the Baker Tilly Care and Teach philosophy, helping associates meet their professional goals
- Responsible for keeping abreast of current developments and preparing tax alerts for the Firm designed to advise team members on current developments coming out of Washington and the courts as they relate to their practice)
- Provide technical support to team members in the tax, audit, consulting and internal HR practices on employee benefit/executive compensation issues affecting their projects (it is anticipated that this will entail either briefing the team member on the relevant issues, attending client meetings with the team member, or by reviewing the issues with the client or its legal counsel or advisors directly. It is anticipated that the delivery of these services will involve the preparation of e-mails and planning memos, as well as conference calls and meetings.
- Responsible for both formal (internal and external participation in seminars and conferences) and informal employee benefit/executive compensation training in the context of the tax, audit and consulting practices, preparation of articles for publication in professional journals or treatises and participation in government hearings and conferences on behalf of the accounting profession
- Responsible for assistance in the development of new business product and service line strategy in area of the tax and audit practices
- Responsible for assisting the National Controversy Group in the preparation and submission of Firm Tax opinions addressing Employee Benefit and Executive Compensation issues, in conjunction with transactional tax work (including due diligence and Golden Parachute consulting), and submission of letters for ruling by the Internal Revenue Service
- Responsible for assisting the National Controversy Group with technical employee benefits / executive compensation support in connection with clients undergoing tax examinations by the Internal Revenue Service
- Lead practice and procedures committee, access firm’s quality control measures and assist with designing procedures to ensure compliance with Circular 230, IRC 7216, and overall protect the reputation of the firm.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or other related fields required; Master’s Degree in Taxation highly desired
- JD and/or CPA with experience in tax technical specialties including accounting methodologies required
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressive experience in a professional service organization providing services in Federal Tax Services
- Extensive experience in an accounting or law firm with deep technical expertise in either partnership, C-Corp or Sub C taxation and the ability to prepare clear and accurate written communications on technical tax matters.
- Ability to present internal webcasts and lead other internal tax education sessions within the firm
- Demonstrated management, analytical, organization, interpersonal, project management, communication skills, and highly developed Microsoft Suite skills (Word, Excel) required
- Ability to lead and supervise others, provide exceptional client service, demonstrate commitment to continuous learning in order to stay current regarding applicable strategies, see the “big picture” as well as the details, display appropriate ethical knowledge and commitment, and exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to quality and timely completion of duties.
- Ability to travel as needed and work non-traditional hours as needed due to client needs
- Located in Washington D.C. and be connected to the Hill, highly preferred.
Baker Tilly US, LLP (Baker Tilly) is a leading advisory, tax and assurance firm, providing clients a genuine coast-to-coast and global advantage with critical mass and top-notch talent in major regions of the U.S. and in many of the world’s leading financial centers – New York, London, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago. Baker Tilly is an independent member of Baker Tilly International, a worldwide network of independent accounting and business advisory firms in 148 territories, with 36,000 professionals and a combined worldwide revenue of $4.0 billion.
Many of Baker Tilly’s roles have the opportunity to work remotely. Please discuss with your talent acquisition professional to understand the requirements for an opportunity you are exploring.
Baker Tilly is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable federal, state or local law.