VMware Carbon Black
VMware Carbon Black provides transformative solutions that create a world safe from cyberattacks.
Vice President – Product Marketing – Cloud Management Business Unit
Location: Palo Alto, CA or US Flexible
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware’s industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a brave new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application. With Fiscal 2021 revenues of $11.8+ billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
At its best, VMware is a place, where we are valued for the complete people we are, where extraordinary progress is achieved for ourselves, our teams, our company, our customers, and our communities – and where even more progress is desired and expected. VMware is a powerful platform for all of who we are – individual, colleague, pioneer, citizen – a place where empowerment, accountability, and responsibility become the traits of ownership, and where each of us can own our future and achieve success through our own actions, on our terms.
With 35,000+ employees and 160+ locations worldwide, we are a passionate, innovative and driven group inspired to make a difference in the industry and our communities.
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
is a $2B+ business unit with a mission to build solutions that make cloud complexity invisible, so that customers can focus on transforming their business. CMBU delivers our CloudHealth, vRealize Suite and vCloud Suite Management Platform. CMBU VMware vRealize Suite is a comprehensive cloud management platform that can manage hybrid (multi-cloud) environments running anything from traditional to container (cloud native) workloads. vRealize speeds up the delivery of IT services through automation and pre-defined policies, providing high levels of agility and flexibility for developers and lines of business while maintaining governance and control.
vCloud Suite Is the Enterprise Ready Cloud Management Platform. VMware vCloud Suite is an integrated offering that brings together VMware’s industry-leading vSphere hypervisor and VMware vRealize Suite multi-vendor hybrid cloud management platform. VMware’s new portable licensing units allow vCloud Suite to build and manage both vSphere-based private clouds, as well as multi-vendor hybrid clouds.
The successful candidate will effectively operate as VP of Product Marketing, managing both GTM and product marketing strategy and execution.
What will I be primarily responsible for?
As VP of Cloud Management Product Marketing, you will own and drive the product positioning, messaging, pricing and packaging, field/partner enablement, product launches and strategic partnerships for the Cloud Management Business Unit. You will lead, manage and mentor a seasoned team of 40+ product and technical marketers, building close alliances with and having influence over other organizations such as Product Management, Sales, Alliances, Corporate Marketing, Industry Analysts and Press.
The role requires an individual with strong leadership and entrepreneurial skills who can manage an existing, established and transforming product portfolio, as well as build and evangelize the vision for the future
Bringing that down to brass tacks, you will be responsible for leading and developing an exemplary team that will:
- Act as a key company spokesperson for the Cloud Management Business Unit in front of press, industry analysts, and customers
- Act as a key leader in VMware’s transformation journey to SaaS
- Strong ability to engage with VMware field and channel partners to create strong go-to-market motion.
- Help customers recognize the impact they can achieve by leveraging cloud and as-a-service delivery models, transforming existing datacenters to a software-defined approach, and enabling new hybrid cloud architectures.
- Develop and execute an innovative communications strategy using a combination of social media, public/press relations and analyst relations to reach broadest possible end user audience and influence virally.
What are the most important performance outcomes I would be expected to accomplish for you to consider me successful in this role?
- Own the creation and execution of the overall marketing strategy and go-to-market plan for the Cloud Management Business Unit.
- Lead the competitive marketing strategy, including prioritizing competitive analyses to identify key VMware business and technology advantages, reference architectures and technical guides.
- Develop the sales and channel strategy for specific products, solutions and services. Analyze the sales cycle and channel mix and formulate ideas and approaches to optimize the selling process.
- Lead the creation of the whole spectrum of sales tools and collateral (PowerPoint presentations, datasheets, white papers, customer case studies, demos, and training materials) to communicate the value proposition of VMware’s products, solutions and services to customers and partners.
- Drive the development of core marketing materials including master messaging documents, all web site messaging and deliverables, video demos and tutorials, field enablement tools, such as case studies, presentations, white papers, sales kits, field newsletters, Intranet sites, etc.
What is leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
VMware sets the pace in building innovative, inclusive and diverse teams. At Cloud Management Business Unit, we pride ourselves on having a high-functioning, collaborative team who builds world-class solutions that drive customer & business value. As such, our cultural tents are as follows:
- We win as “one team” – we partner closely across organizations (customer success, sales, alliances, enablement)
- We ruthlessly focus on customer and quality
- We debate, decide and commit
- We act to seize the opportunity
We take diversity and inclusivity seriously and practice servant leadership in all levels of the organization. We strive to build a place where voices are nurtured, diversity is celebrated, and opportunities are unbounded.
- You have 15 – 20 years of software industry marketing experience with an ideal mix of technical (product management, technical marketing or engineering) and business (consulting, product marketing) background.
- You have a proven track record of marketing success from within a Cloud software/service, SaaS, or IaaS company is strongly preferred.
- You have strong experience managing teams of 25+ marketers.
- You demonstrate excellent listening, oral and written communication/presentation skills with strong ability to influence people at all levels and in various functions.
- You have prior experience in pricing and packaging complex enterprise software solutions (subscription or usage based preferred).
- You can successfully recruit, motivate, mentor, coach, develop and retain a high performing team of product marketing and technical marketers.
- You have established credibility and record with speaking engagements, technology publications and related is beneficial.
- BS in Computer Science or related degree. Advanced degree strongly desired.
This job may require the candidate to travel and/or work from a facility that requires full vaccination prior to entry.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.