Gannett USA TODAY NETWORK
USA TODAY NETWORK brings timely news and entertainment right to the fingertips of readers around the country by pairing innovative technology with razor-sharp reporting and storytelling.
Memphis, TN, USA Req #22681
Monday, April 18, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
We want a transformational leader to help shape and implement the strategic vision for Memphis while setting and executing coverage priorities. The right candidate has a track record of guiding innovative, revelatory investigative and enterprise work and knows how to retain loyal audiences and cultivate new ones.
This senior editor will work with the MCA Editor, the South Region content strategist and digital optimization team members to grow readership and digital subscriptions in Memphis.
The Commercial Appeal, the region’s dominant news organization, is located in Memphis, population 600,000. The CA covers Shelby County, a vibrant, diverse county of 1.1 million people where Memphis is the county seat. This area is major logistics anchor, home to 30,000 workers from FedEx, the region’s largest corporation and a significant global player based in Memphis. In addition, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and AutoZone are international companies based in Memphis. The entertainment and food scenes are unrivaled, and Beale Street is an iconic entertainment district. The city is also home to the NBA’s Grizzlies.
• Leads other editors and coaches in guiding reporters and photographers and oversees the content creation team.
• Guides the news organization in covering topics and issues most important to key audiences. Works with the content strategist and digital optimization team members to adjust content direction as data dictates. Works with marketing and advertising colleagues on content initiatives, ranging from new products to native advertising and content sponsorships.
• Oversees content strategy, aggressively using data and leveraging audience analysts to make sure content decisions focus on the needs of the target audiences:
• Directs content creation team and works collaboratively with the digital director and digital production team to ensure a steady flow of quality content to provide the right elements on the right platforms at the right time.
• Collaborates with the production team to ensure the right mix of content to maximize user experiences each day.
• Directs and champions investigative and First Amendment journalists.
• Monitors real-time metrics to develop a clear picture of audience needs.
• Provides excellent customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Represents the newspaper to community leaders and members of the community.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• More than five years of media management experience.
• Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy.
• Strong communication and collaboration skills.
• Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
• Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
• Social-media and SEO knowledge.
• Self-motivation and self-direction.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here’s what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.