Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it – we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies.We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America’s cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation’s leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Reporting to the SVP, Social Impact and Chief ESG Officer, this role will have primary responsibility for Discover’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Program. This highly integrative role will work across the enterprise and with external stakeholders to develop our ESG strategy and program to consistently deliver and report on ESG progress.
- Develop and socialize our enterprise wide ESG Strategy
- Articulate ambitions aligned to corporate mission
- Identify relevant ESG topics and goals
- Develop and manage our enterprise wide ESG Program
- Define ESG roles and responsibilities across the organization
- Coordinate with facilities / real estate team to establish relevant environmental measures, targets and objectives
- Coordinate with DE&I and Social Impact teams to establish relevant social measures, targets and objectives
- Coordinate with Legal and Finance to establish relevant governance measures, targets and objectives
- Support the Director of Social Impact and the Director of Sustainability as they engage line business leaders (e.g., brand, marketing) to stimulate ideas for impact and to execute on identified opportunities
- Coordinate with corporate risk and SMEs to define and assess ESG risks
- Coordinate with Internal Audit and appropriate external parties (e.g., Deloitte, SGS Group) to provide internal and external assurance on our ESG disclosures
- Continually assess and incorporates SEC and other regulatory ESG mandates
- Manage working groups and governance structures (including the Nominating, Governance and Public Responsibility Committee) and ensure planned progress towards targets
- Provide internal and external reporting on our program and progress, including presentations for Board, Regulatory, Investor, Executive and Company-wide communications
- Publish bi-annual ESG Report and Semi-annual ESG Tear Sheet updates
- Select, implement and maintain a technology solution to capture ESG disclosures from source systems across the company
- Ensure measurement and disclosure processes are documented and risk assessed with documented and tested controls
- Develop a compelling narrative of our ESG Strategy, goals, targets and objectives
- Map our ESG report and disclosures and other corporate reporting to relevant standards (e.g., GRI, SASB, TCFD, UNGC)
- Act as an enterprise expect on ESG; establish and grow an external presence as an ESG expert and continually increase Discover’s ESG profile and reputation
- Build and maintain a small but strong, engaged and impactful team of ~2 employees.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- 8+ years of experience in Strategy Development and Execution; Program management or related.
- 2+ years of experience in ESG preferred
- 1+ year minimum of people management experience
In Lieu of Education
- 10+ years of experience in Strategy Development and Execution; Program management or related.
- 4+ years of experience in ESG preferred
- 2+ year minimum of people management experience
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.