Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Help create the future of digital entertainment with Amazon. Prime Video is seeking a creative, savvy and analytically-minded, senior content executive to join its SVOD content acquisition team. This team members will be responsible for helping to define and to execute our content acquisition strategies with key local and US/Hollywood content partners for our Prime Video service in South Africa. This executive will define content strategy, negotiate deals, rigorously evaluate alternate deal structures and efficiently communicate the status and the tradeoffs associated with content licensing decisions with key internal stakeholder teams including legal, finance and consumer insight development, production and legal.
The executive will also work with the Prime Video and Amazon Studios teams in other international locales to leverage their learnings/expertise. The ideal candidate will be a critical thinker who has an attention to detail, an ability to juggle multiple priorities, is cool under pressure and isn’t afraid to roll his/her sleeves up as needed. S/he must have the ability to clearly and concisely communicate thoughts and ideas, both written and verbally, operate in a fast-paced environment and think outside of his/her direct sphere of responsibility.
Key job responsibilities
• Drive the content acquisition strategy for all licensed content categories on Amazon’s Prime Video service in South Africa.
• Build, cultivate and manage a content acquisition pipeline for different genres of local South Africa content.
• Support content licensing including content selection, financial analysis, forecasting, and technical requirements for locally produced South African film and TV, as well as US/Hollywood content.
• Build and manage relationships with senior-level leaders at content providers.
• Work closely with Prime Video leadership to develop and document acquisition plans, financial metrics and goals for senior management.
• Collaborate with internal teams (e.g., marketing, public relations, finance, operations, etc.) and report to senior stakeholders on performance.
• Use behavior, usage and consumption data to inform decision-making.
• Solve time sensitive issues using the range of tools available at Amazon or via your own methodology to improve on our processes.
• A deep understanding of the region’s film and TV business and a broad circle of contacts
• 5+ years of experience in content licensing, content distribution and/or content strategy
• Deep understanding of media licensing models, evaluation metrics and deal terms; ability to understand and devise new models that work
• Prior experience negotiating complex content licensing and/or business development agreements
• Robust analytical and quantitative skills (e.g. ability to work with large data sets and develop complex Excel models)
• Ability to convert insight into strategy and communicate complex ideas clearly and logically in written communication
• Ability to negotiate complex license or business development agreements in high pressure environments
• Excellent written communication and organizational skills
• Prior extensive experience in the sub-Saharan Africa (e.g., South Africa, Nigeria, etc.) media & entertainment industry
• Knowledge of digital video landscape in South Africa, including solid understanding of digital video distribution technologies
• Ability to adapt to a quickly changing, fast-paced environment
• Multiple years of experience in a senior executive position at entertainment studio/pay TV operator/SVOD operator/AVOD operator/TV Network group within sub-Saharan Africa
• You must be enthusiastic, enjoy working hard and getting things done, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.