BIC® products are recognized all over the world for their quality, safety, affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, and the shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® an iconic international brand, present in more than 4 million retail outlets in more than 160 countries around the world.
BIC’s founder, Marcel Bich, understood that to succeed, BIC needed hands-on team members who were willing to take measured risks and assume responsibility for their role in a team. Today, we provide our more than 15,000 team members in 61 countries with the opportunity to invent BIC’s future – together – while honoring our past achievements. We are committed to our team members’ development and empower those who wish to discover different areas of our business or acquire international experiences.
This position is responsible for leading and managing the North American commercial law team supporting the BIC Stationery, Lighter and Shaver businesses in North America as well as the Rocketbook and Inkbox businesses in North America. This position is also responsible for supporting the Global Procurement Team in connection with matters relating to North America. This position provides legal expertise and tactical and strategic advice, guidance and support to all business teams within the NAM organization including the Marketing, Sales, Digital, and Ecommerce teams, and will collaborate on global matters with input from other BIC legal teams including Product Safety and IP. This position has responsibility for evaluating legal risks and advising the company to protect against liabilities while helping to drive the business.
More specifically, this position is responsible for providing regular advice and counsel on marketing, advertising and promotion matters across North America for the Human Expression, including Rocketbook and Inkbox, Flame for Life and Blade Excellence business units, including but not limited to, sweepstakes, contest and promotion design, packaging and labeling compliance, claim substantiation, and social media and other internet-related legal matters, including data privacy.
This position supports the Procurement team in connection with drafting and negotiating a broad range of contracts, including complex commercial agreements, supporting various aspects of the deal making process for the business, as well as other commercial agreements for the North American Human Expression, including Rocketbook and Inkbox, Flame for Life and Blade Excellence business units, and the North American business and facilities (e.g., marketing, sales, service, facilities-related agreements, employee benefits agreements and Real Estate Leases). In addition, this position advises in connection with the standardization of contract forms and developing contracting processes and trains business team members to equip them to negotiate and execute standard contracts while ensuring consistent, balanced and appropriate contract terms.
This position provides legal expertise to the NAM digital and ecommerce teams in support of the company e-retail & digital and Commercial Strategy & Analytics Centers of Excellence, advising on a range of topics including data security issues involving data acquisition and analytics.
Major Duties / Responsibilities of Job
- Manage, supervise and develop the Commercial Practice Team for all three of BIC’s core business units – Human Expression, including Rocketbook and Inkbox, Flame for Life and Blade Excellence – by providing ongoing leadership, support, training and review of work; allocate of work among available internal and external resources to ensure all deliverables are timely. Manage challenges and identify processes and solutions for team to continue to provide effective and efficient legal services and support.
- Review, analyze and provide counsel to the U.S. and Canada Human Expression, including Rocketbook and Inkbox, Flame for Life and Blade Excellence business units regarding product packaging, marketing promotions and activations (e.g., packaging & labeling requirements, promotional videos, contests, sweepstakes, influencers, experiential tours, coupons, rebates, product claims, brand and ecommerce websites and mobile applications). Review and provide timely and practical guidance relating to promotion concepts, creative and all forms of external advertising (e.g. print, digital and social media posts). Provide training for clients and prepare and update client reference guides and materials.
- Review and negotiate commercial agreements for the North American business and across product categories in support of the Procurement team and otherwise, including marketing and promotion agreements, sales agreements and facilities, employee health and benefit plan agreements, and other service and procurement agreements including real estate leases, transportation agreements.
- Review, analyze and provide counsel to the U.S. and Canada business regarding matters concerning data privacy and data security. Provide training for clients and prepare and update client reference guides and materials.
- Manage matters brought by or before the NAD, FTC and other regulatory agencies, including challenges to product claims and investigations regarding third party merger and acquisition activity. Support and provide counsel to the business in connection with factory audits and other third party inquiries. Provide training, or arrange for external sources to conduct training, on pertinent regulatory matters, including antitrust/anticompetition matters.
- Juris Doctor (JD)
- 15+ years of commercial law experience, including in-house and law firm experience; must be a member of the Connecticut or other state Bar.
- Expertise in Advertising & Marketing law and contract drafting & negotiation.
- Complex commercial transactions including mergers & acquisitions and other cross border transactions.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to effectively develop and manage people.
- Appreciation of business objectives and challenges and the ability to clearly translate legal terms to effectively communicate to the most senior levels of the company the legal issues that affect business opportunities.
- Highly skilled in articulating legal risks and opportunities and offering practical legal counsel and creative solutions.
- Strong risk mitigation and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to take on significant responsibilities; manage people and work well under pressure and on multiple projects.
- International exposure.
BIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly commit to hiring people with different backgrounds and experiences to help us build better products, make better decisions, and better serve our customers. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or similar characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
BIC is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any team member at BIC via email, or directly to a BIC team member in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of BIC, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by BIC as a result of the referral or through other means.