At Northwell Health, our 74,000-plus healthcare heroes are raising the standard of care for all in the New York Metro area.
Performs general clerical and receptionist duties supporting the patient care unit, including preparing, compiling and maintaining records.
- Greets, directs and escorts patient, family members and visitors to appropriate locations.
- Communicates with bed management to schedule admissions and bed assignments. Maintains daily census sheet.
- Enters patient information into department computer system to record pertinent information. Ensures face sheets and addressograph plates are prepared in a timely manner
- Assembles initial patient chart upon admission, notifies responsible nurse, attending physician, and house staff of patient’s arrival.Documents actions in patient chart.
- Schedules appointments, ancillary tests, and special procedures, as needed.
- Transcribes and enters orders into department computer system.
- Receives and reviews radiology test orders for completion. Enters complete orders into appropriate computer system.
- Adds reports received to patient’s chart and keeps the appropriate healthcare team leader informed. Performs chart review to ensure all forms are labeled, assembled and adds forms appropriately.
- Notifies appropriate physician of transfers and consults with documentation.
- Answers patient call light via call system console in coordination with other nursing personal. Attends to patient’s basic request and/or communicates patient’s needs to appropriate personnel.
- Recognizes discharges as stat orders and assists in discharge process
- Enters discharge orders into computer.
- Assembles and prints discharge material, as required.
- Enters bed vacancy in computer upon discharge, expiration or transfer.
- Communicates with patients and families, and confirms and/or secures patient’s transportation
- Notifies Admitting of expirations and forwards patient charts to Medical Records within established timeframe.
- Orders unit supplies and maintains inventory par levels. Inventories and charges equipment and supplies used by patients.
- Reports equipment needing repair and initiates work orders.Photocopies and maintains supply of pertinent forms specific to unit.Performs routine clerical tasks including, but not limited to, answering phones, providing information, directing calls, taking messages, filing and faxing information, and maintaining bulletin boards.
- May transport items to/from unit. May transport patients in wheelchair, as required.
- Performs related duties as required.
ADA Essential Functions
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Must successfully complete hospital training/orientation program.
- Minimum of one (1) year recent clerical experience, required. Experience in hospital admissions, patient care unit, medical records or discharge planning, preferred.
- Typing 35 wpm, required.