Requisition ID: 145778
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
The Chief Operating Officer, Houston manages the operational aspects and procedures of several businesses operating from Houston and supports CIB activities within the US. It has strong business acumen, providing expertise and knowledge for the full spectrum of business activities, including: Finance, Risk, Compliance, Legal, Information Technology and Regulatory Relations. A proven leader and people manager, she/he provides ongoing coaching and support to the career development of our talent and promotes the Bank’s culture and strategic priorities.
Is this role right for you? You will be responsible for:
- Leads and drives a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Oversee day-to-day Houston operations by partnering with CIB and key support and control functions, including Regulatory Relations, Finance and Administration, Risk, Prime Services, Operations, Project Management Office, Compliance, Legal, and Information Technology groups.
- Support the US Head of CIB and MD, COO, US CIB on the development and execution of the overall strategic direction and initiatives for the US CIB business by supporting the CIB sector teams located in Houston and acting as the liaison between the rest of the US CIB COO team and the business on strategy, reporting, client analytics, and credit execution matters.
- Contribute to the development of the CIB and Houston Branch strategy, using analytical skills to assimilate complex information into recommendations for Senior Management and executing business plans.
- Direct the preparation of short-term and long-range plans and budgets based on broad organizational goals and growth objectives in consultation with the Office Head and Senior Leadership.
- Drive change and improvement by convening, informing, supporting, influencing and mentoring and ensure all Houston Office operations are effectively integrated and aligned with US regional objectives to achieve best possible outcomes.
- Proficient in Salesforce, leveraging its MIS capabilities to closely monitor key business insights, identifying opportunities to leverage further capabilities to support business execution.
- Act as Houston Branch Manager, representing Houston on key committees and with external regulators.
- Partner with HR on workforce planning projects and conduct front-end analysis on recruitment annually in order to build and retain a robust and diverse team meeting established business goals.
- Exhibit a risk oriented mindset and ensure all business lines are aware of all governance policies and adhere to them.
- Understands how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Champions a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
Do you have the skills you need to succeed? We’d love to work with you, if you have:
- University degree with 10+ years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of the banking business. Operations, finance, regulatory, prime brokerage and IT additive
- Strong analytical skills to assimilate complex information into a recommendation or report for Executives
- Proven ability to translate vision and strategic priorities into operational and financial realities
- Strategic influencing skills to effectively persuade and influence peers and senior management
- Ability to foster and cultivate business opportunities and partnerships
- Negotiation skills and ability to influence and persuade
- Energetic, motivated, solutions-oriented to retain high performing talent
- Comfortable working at both the conceptual and the hands-on level
- Big-picture thinking, growth-oriented leadership skills
- Demonstrated high performance track record
- Able to work in a matrix/lean environment
Location(s): United States : Texas : Houston
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: “for every future”, we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Job Segment: Compliance, Front End, Executive, Risk Management, Investment Banking, Legal, Technology, Management, Finance