Requisition ID: 127151
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Company Description: Scotiabank is one of North America’s premier financial institutions and Canada’s most international bank. With more than 85,000 employees, Scotiabank and its affiliates serve some 21 million customers in more than 55 countries around the world. Our Global Banking and Markets division provides corporate and investment banking and capital markets products and services to corporate, institutional and government clients worldwide. We have over 30 offices globally and more than 300 relationship managers organized around industry specialties.
DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: Global Banking & Markets provides a full range of investment banking, credit and risk management products and services relevant to the financing and strategic development needs of our clients. Our products include debt and equity financing, mergers & acquisitions, corporate banking, institutional equity sales, trading and research, fixed income products, derivatives, foreign exchange, and commodities. We also cross-sell the full range of wholesale products and services offered by Scotiabank. POSITION
DESCRIPTION: Global Banking and Markets has a unique analyst opportunity for an exceptional recent graduate who has achieved both academic and extra-curricular success on its US Corporate Derivative Products Group desk in New York. Scotiabank’s state-of-the art offices are located at Brookfield Place, which is in downtown Manhattan. As part of the Global Origination Group, the Derivative Products Group (DPG) develops derivative solutions for its US corporate clients. DPG specializes in marketing, structuring, and executing customized risk management solutions with focus on interest rate and cross currency swap derivatives, both option- and forward-based solutions. The position will appeal to an entrepreneurial individual with a strong interest in the global financial markets and desire to work and learn in an extraordinarily challenging and often exciting environment. The individual will sit and work side-by-side with DPG professionals. This position will provide hands-on experience with cutting edge financial derivative products and the opportunity to learn aspects of corporate finance, capital markets, and risk management. Responsibilities include assisting in the preparation of client presentations and materials and analysis, working on internal reports and communications, writing market-based commentary for clients, pricing derivatives using proprietary models, and leading risk management special projects. Additional responsibilities will include executing Trades and working with internal stakeholders in Debt Capital Markets, Investment Banking, Trading, Risk Management, Operations, and Legal.
- Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Assists in the research, analysis, and support to develop creative risk management solution packages for the team’s corporate client base by using OTC proprietary derivative products (currency and interest rate hedging tools)
- Prepares hedging solutions for clients and derivative pricing (initially in a support role) using advanced proprietary pricing models, and financial analysis, in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, often under tight time-constraints and competitive pressure
- Effectively communicates and liaises with internal and external stakeholders (Legal, Compliance, Traders, Global Wholesale Services, Technology Applications Group, etc.) to help provide comprehensive risk management solutions to DPG’s clients
- Takes ownership for time-sensitive, and potentially critical analysis/presentations to meet client’s needs/requirements
- Assists in planning and creation of presentation material to potential/existing clients in an effort to promote individual and group ideas
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
- Champions a high performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
• Strong academic achievement with coursework in finance, economics, math, and liberal arts
• Strong interpersonal, communication, analytical skills, and desire to work in a trading floor environment
• Previous employment experience (internships)
• Microsoft Office knowledge, specifically Excel and PowerPoint
Location(s): United States : New York : New York City
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: “for every future”, we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Job Segment: Investment Banking, Compliance, Risk Management, Recent Graduate, Finance, Legal, Research, Entry Level