Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Principal Engagement Managers at Amazon Web Services (AWS), are senior leaders who develop strategy, set direction for teams and perform in an influencing capacity to ensure successful delivery of AWS’ largest strategic customer engagements. They influence both internally and externally to manage and deliver AWS cloud services that enable our customers to realize their business objectives. They work well in ambiguous situations and able to formulate direction and coach, mentor, lead internal AWS resources, external partners and customers through the engagement and program lifecycle.
AWS Professional Services engage in a wide variety of projects for customers and partners, providing collective AWS customer experience, best practices and obsessing about strong success for the Customer. Our team collaborates across the entire AWS organization to bring access to products, services and training teams, to deliver the right solutions and drive feature innovations for our customers across all industries. Engagement Managers help Customers make decisions to meet their technical and business objectives by providing best practices, proactively identifying and closing project gaps.
Principal Engagement Manager Responsibilities include:
SOLUTIONS – This includes participating in on-site visits, understanding customer requirements, proposing and delivering ProServe offerings such as mass migration programs, and help develop custom solution engagements.
- Applies strategic thinking and demonstrates ability to understand business and technical requirements to galvanize teams around a common vision to execute, manage and achieve customer business outcomes.
- Actively looks for ways to improve process efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Leads directly, and through others, the creation of new business capabilities for customers, partners, and AWS Service Teams.
EXPERTISE – Collaborate with AWS field sales, pre-sales, training and support teams to help partners and customers learn and use AWS services in key market verticals & regulated industries such as financial services, media/entertainment, and healthcare/life sciences.
- Viewed as a trusted senior advisor at the CXO/VP level or equivalent, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrates leadership in the scaled, enterprise Agile and Program Management community, showing differentiated invention and innovation.
- Delivers and leading large, complex initiatives and customer engagements
- Collaborates with AWS field sales, pre-sales, training and support teams to seek to understand our customers’ needs, their business, how success is defined and ensure that we are exceeding expectations in delivery and developing valued solutions.
- Possesses a deep knowledge of scaled agile and program and project management best practices and how to apply them in an effective and pragmatic way across large, complex engagements and organizations.
- Understands the cloud technology value proposition, principles and services including infrastructure, business applications, data management, security, application platforms and consumer-facing technology.
- Sought after by customers, internal AWS teams and partners to provide valuable, strategic input on AWS-related practices and offerings related to scaled, enterprise Agile and Program Management to support delivery.
- Works with AWS engineering, support, and business teams to convey partner and customer feedback.
DELIVERY – Deliver and manage multi-stream technical engagements with partners and customers by demonstrating exemplary leadership qualities, building high performing teams and establishing effective communication techniques across the program. The Engagement Manager is responsible for managing customer expectations, managing AWS delivery consultants, and managing the scope and budget of each individual project.
- Leads and coaches both AWS, customer stakeholders/subject matter experts, and partner teams to align program/project goals with customer business goals, leads planning and road mapping to ensure the achievement of those goals.
- Enables new levels of agility, speed, and scale, to exceed business outcome targets and provides project teams with guidance, mentoring, and support from a servant leadership perspective.
- Plans, organizes and manages all phases of a project lifecycle to ensure successful delivery. This includes developing and managing project governance plans, project schedules, team goals, defining success criteria, project milestones, and budgets.
- Plays an active role in managing project goals and driving teams to achieve customers’ business outcomes by managing issues, delivery risks, decisions and action items.
- Ability to take ownership, work under pressure and meet deadlines on time.
- Ability to challenge, recommend and redirect teams as well as manage client expectations during the engagement.
- Ability to make decisions guided by policies, procedures and business plans with limited guidance.
- Takes proactive steps to ensure teams meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Works effectively in a dynamic environment with changing priorities.
- Results-oriented, prioritizes work activities, plans and stays organized in order to meet commitments.
- Create and deliver executive level and detailed status reports that properly communicates a project’s progress and financials tailored to the proper audience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with team members and audiences of all levels of management and technical stakeholders.
- Interfaces with various customer and internal AWS stakeholders which consists of senior leadership teams (C-level execs, SVP/VP, Directors) and project level resources such as SMEs.
- Plans and oversees the preparation and dissemination of project communications.
- Ability to coach and develop other Engagement Managers in their written and verbal communications skills and approach.
- Proven success in working with teams and executive leadership in a complex, global, multi-national corporate environment.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand the operating styles of others as well as team/client relationships, team dynamics and adjust actions accordingly to succeed. Recognizes environmental or cultural nuances and adapts to build relationships across all teams of the engagement.
- Team player who effectively integrates, motivates and builds relationships with cross-functional team members (local or remote), sponsors, key stakeholders, executives and other individuals or organizations involved with or affected by the project.
- Proven experience working in a matrix environment, managing multiple stakeholders.
- Negotiation and conflict resolution capabilities.
- Excellent people management skills, including the ability to influence, negotiate and achieve results through others who are not direct reports.
- Lead and mentor junior engagement managers to ensure AWS is developing the next generation of Agile engagement managers.
Inclusive Team Culture globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life harmony. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here. We are a customer-obsessed organizationleaders start with the customer and work backwards. They work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust. As such, this is a customer facing role in a hybrid delivery model. Project engagements include remote delivery methods and onsite engagement that will include travel to customer locations as needed.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
This is a customer facing role. You be required to travel to client locations to deliver professional services when needed.
- 15+ years IT consulting or industry experience coordinating and leading large scale Digital or Global IT Transformation initiatives
- 10+ years leading the delivery and governance of large scaled multi-work stream enterprise engagements at the program and portfolio level driving business outcomes across partners and customers.
- Direct experience leading engagements using industry standard program management techniques including Agile at scale delivery frameworks and project management toolsets
- Experience developing and maintaining executive relationships (C-level CIO, CTO, CISO, etc) with the ability to articulate complex concepts concisely to collaborate among technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to manage internal and external cross-functional teams in fast-paced matrix partner and customer organizations
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Computer Science or relevant experience
- 10+ years leading delivery of large portfolios or programs across one or more industry verticals such as Financial Services, Health and Life Sciences, Media and Entertainment, Telecommunications, Retail, Automotive, Oil & Gas, and Manufacturing
- Proficiency in cloud technology value proposition, principles, and services including infrastructure, business applications, data management, security, application platforms, and consumer facing technology
- Experience in influencing senior leadership, business and technical stakeholders, and peer groups, while driving enterprise-scale portfolios or programs in large organizations
- AWS certifications, AWS engagement delivery experience or other public cloud certifications
- Experience with toolsets like Salesforce, Jira
- Able to work in a diverse team
- Project Management certification (PMP, PRINCE) and/or Agile (e.g., APM, CSM, PMI-ACP, SAFe SM, CSPO) certification
- Post Graduate Degree (e.g., MBA, MS Computer Science, etc.)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .
The pay range for this position in Colorado is $122,300/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon’s internal or external careers site.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.