Boston Consulting Group
BCG is a global consultancy with 35+ North America offices that partners with business leaders and society to solve industry-defining challenges.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
You will have overall leadership responsibility for the Finance Function across BCG’s Australia and New Zealand (ANZ) system and lead a team of approximately 14 finance professionals. As the ANZ Finance Director, you will be supported by four Finance Managers. You will dually report to the ANZ System Leader – who sets the business agenda – and to the Asia Pacific (AP) CFO, who oversees the finance function in the region. The finance function sets finance functional standards (e.g., accounting policies, tax policies), processes (e.g., the annual planning cycle, treasury systems), systems and controls, and supports the local commercial activities of the BCG Partners.
You will be an integral member of the ANZ Management Team (covering the full ANZ Geography, including digital and functional specialty units) and the AP Head of Finance Leadership team. Further, you will participate in Finance Function initiatives (e.g., participating in the Future Finance transformation), and will collaborate with other functions including Procurement, People & HR, Client Team, Marketing & Operations, and so on. With the People Director and Marketing & Operations Director, you will help lead and grow a world-class Business Services Team (BST) serving BCG ANZ.
• Business Information & Analytics: Ensuring the firm has the financial (and related) information and forward-looking analysis necessary to steer the business, whether by leveraging BCG’s central information resources or providing locally. This includes leading accurate pipeline management through ClientView for the ANZ geography, in close collaboration with digital and functional specialty units.
• Finance and Commercial Operations & Accounting: Overall accountability for the delivery of all financial operational activities in the end-to-end processes of lead-to-cash, source-to-pay, record-to-report (local and US GAAP), hire-to-retire, and cash management, with leverage from the ANZ Finance Managers. This includes running the monthly and annual accounting processes for in-market business units (e.g., DV, PLA, Gamma, etc). Of particular importance are activities with direct client impact including working with MDPs to agree on payment terms, MSA rate card negotiations (with Commercial Director), invoicing schedules and collections, and transparency on client economics relative to commitments e.g., PVF, collections.
• Finance Expertise Functions: Overall responsibility for ensuring financial and related compliance in Australia and New Zealand for all legal entities including accurate and timely local accounting statutory filings, complying with regulations and standards such as tax filings (corporate tax, indirect taxes e.g. FBT, transfer pricing, etc); to ensure that the business complies in full, with the local laws and regulations (with close interaction with external auditors and advisors) while also complying with the firm’s global policies. This will require significant collaboration with Global Treasury, Global Tax, Partner Services group, and the BCG Group Chief Accountant where BCG’s cash, tax and accounting strategies and policies are set. A significant additional direct responsibility is working in partnership with BCG’s Partner Services Group, and the ANZ People Director, to ensure Partner Programs are properly executed. Another key activity is to ensure awareness by local functions on risk management topics and to coordinate across the local functions involving internal risk audit assessments and action plans.
• Business Services Leadership: The ANZ Finance Director is one of three members of BCG’s BST Executive team (alongside the People Director and Marketing & Operations Director). As part of this team, you will play an important role in building strong internal functions and capabilities for BCG. Specific responsibilities include serving on the BST career development committee, contributing to BST policy decisions, and being a visible role model for BST engagement/affiliation (e.g., via BST Forums, and retreats). This role also involves close coordination with the BST Executive on headcount and broader budget planning to meet business needs.
YOU’RE GOOD AT
• Critical thinking and technical expertise – using rigorous logic and methods to solve complex financial problems, you can identify potential problems, and provide objective financial analysis and effective decision making under pressure
• Possessing a commercial mindset to support a world-class client-oriented professional services firm – for example, partnering with ANZ Partners on pricing strategy and investment decisions for specific client opportunities as required. Also, teaming with Legal and the AP Commercial Director on more complex Master Service Agreement (MSA) rate cards and variable pricing arrangement negotiations with client procurement departments as required
• Working collaboratively across groups – establishing strong collaborative relationships (with peers, Senior Leaders, and Partners and other functions such as Legal, People/HR, etc.), demonstrating the ability to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network, using diplomacy and tact to gain cooperation and support from others
• Being transparent, purpose-driven, and outcome-focused – creating focus, moving roadblocks, tackling difficult problems, and remaining action-oriented
• Strategy & planning – you have a sound ability to develop annual and long-range plans to support business development strategy
• Developing and leading talent – you’re a good judge of talent. You coach employees to improve performance, provide and encourage challenging and stretching tasks and assignments, hold frequent development discussions and are aware of your team’s individual career goals
• Leading change – effectively involving key people in the design and implementation of change. You will support and champions activities that position the business for the future, navigating across cultural differences
• Thinking digitally – picking up new technical skills and knowledge quickly, gaining familiarity, and ensuring comfortability using a range of digital collaboration tools
• Innovative delivery – ability to deliver value-added solutions, with sound judgment as to which suggestions will work
• Operating as a nimble learner – knowing personal strengths, weaknesses, and limits, and possessing a growth mindset. You’re personally committed to and are actively working on continuous improvement, and have developed significant new skills over time
YOU BRING (EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS)
• Minimum of 10 years of applicable experience
• Experience operating as a leader within professional services, partnerships, or similar matrix environments
• Experience interfacing with Clients, either directly or indirectly e.g., Collections
• Strong experience across client contracting, investments, billings, collections, and negotiation support
• Strong ability to lead improvement/change projects as required
• Financial & Management Accounting & Performance Reporting experience
• Experience with compliance with firm policies and local regulatory and tax requirements, including preparation of all official documents and filings required by local law
• Sound ability to embed risk management into the finance function, ensuring adequate systems and internal controls
• Strong academic foundations, preferably including an Accounting (CA/CPA), Finance, or MBA qualification, otherwise demonstrating an aptitude for these topics
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
YOU’LL WORK WITH
Members of our finance team are responsible for preserving the intellectual capital, assets, and integrity of BCG. We make a decisive impact on the firm’s direction, performance, and risk-management models. Finance jobs include accounting and reporting, planning and analysis, tax and treasury, financial systems, payroll, and executive compensation.