Date: August 2021
Job Title: Senior Staff Accountant
Reports To: G/L Accounting Manager
Location: Ventura, CA
The Senior Accountant is responsible for many critical accounting functions for North America including analyzing and reporting on the Company’s financial results, reconciling and identifying risks in various balance sheet accounts, and calculating and posting journal entries to ensure the financials are accurately stated for our North American business across the wholesale, retail and ecommerce channels.
Must have an aptitude for systems and drive a culture of continuous improvements in the accounting function to improve the effectiveness, efficiency, and overall performance of the Controller’s Group.
Will analyze accounting information and propose solutions to complex accounting issues in an independent manner, be well versed in the application of US GAAP, and be comfortable researching and applying the guidance to various scenarios. The results of such analyses will be presented to management in a written and/or verbal format.
Must be reliable and able to carry out tasks autonomously and collaboratively and work well cross functionally across the organization.
What You’ll Do:
Monthly Close: Participate in the monthly close process to ensure that financials are in compliance with US GAAP
- Complete monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial activities, including journal entries, balance sheet account reconciliations, accruals, reserve analysis and intercompany transactions and reconciliations.
- Provide support for year-end financial audits including preparation of audit schedules and addressing auditor inquiries.
- Mentor junior department staff.
Financial Analysis: Analyze financial results to ensure that the Company’s reporting is accurately stated
- Compare results to forecast, budget or prior periods, investigate any significant or unusual variances and determine the appropriate adjustments
- Create and utilize business relationships to further understand and analyze financial results.
- Create and provide monthly reporting to various business leaders as needed, including schedules and commentary with respect to operating results and variances, preparation of operational information and ad hoc reporting as required.
- Participate or lead various projects and tasks as required based on business needs, including developing modeling tools and procedures for examining and understanding financial data and provide credible recommendations relative to the data.
System improvements and implementations: Evaluate and make recommendations for improvements to the global accounting systems and related tools to support the Company’s strategic needs and improve internal controls and the reliability of financial information.
- Participate in upgrades and continued development of the financial accounting systems and stay aware of new trends and products that could be recommended to improve the operational effectiveness of the global finance and accounting team.
- Identify, investigate and participate in any systematic issues that may arise that requires an IT intervention; be able to document system requirement by providing a detailed description of the issue with supporting examples and push for resolution.
Who you are:
- Passionate – For finance and accounting and saving our home planet
- Leader – act as a thought leader, build trusted relationships, influence decisions and drive urgency on critical priorities.
- Resilient – Able to work successfully in a dynamic work environment and overcome challenging situations to achieve business goals.
- Curious – Ability and desire to acquire knowledge to deepen one’s understanding of the subject matter or situation
- Detail oriented – Ability to achieve thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing tasks, especially those of an iterative nature.
- Innovative – Ability to produce unorthodox ideas, approaches or insights to drive use of existing and emerging technologies and processes.
- Self motivated – Ability to proactively and independently surface opportunity to improve
- Strong Communicator: Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strategic: Able to think big picture and drive work accordingly
- Self-reflective- Acknowledge own’s experience and experiences of other. Adjusts behaviors for success in an inclusive workplace.
- Inclusive- Experience working with groups across difference in respectful and equitable ways.
Experience you Bring:
•College degree with accounting or finance degree; CPA or CPA candidate preferred; MBA desirable
•Minimum 3-5 years experience working in the accounting field. Preferred experience is a combination of public accounting (Big 4 preferred) and private industry experience.
Experience with large enterprise ERP and related tools for reporting and analysis.
•Able to work well under pressure and deadlines.
•Self motivated, able to manage workload and deadlines with minimal intervention
•Comfortable with team-based work structure.
•Advanced Excel a must, experience with PowerPoint and Word, strong knowledge of the Office365 environment including SharePoint and Teams a plus
•Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
•Must be able to look at a computer screen for prolonged periods of time.
•Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
Patagonia requires all employees who enter a Patagonia owned or operated facility or who physically interact with others as part of their job duties to demonstrate proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of their employment, subject to exemptions for sincerely held religious beliefs, or medical reasons.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.