At Walmart, we save people money so they can live better.
What you’ll do…
Manager II, Specialty Tax
About Walmart Inc.
Walmart is the world’s largest retailer committed to helping people around the world save money and live better. We are creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the globe. Walmart operates approximately 10,500 stores and clubs under 48 banners in 24 countries and eCommerce websites. We employ 2.2 million associates around the world – nearly 1.6 million in the U.S. alone.
Walmart Inc. helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – by providing the opportunity to shop in retail stores and through eCommerce. Through innovation, we strive to continuously improve a customer-centric experience that seamlessly integrates our eCommerce and retail stores in an omni-channel offering that saves time for our customers. Each week, we serve over 240 million customers who visit approximately 11,400 stores and numerous eCommerce websites under 54 banners in 26 countries.
Our strategy is to make every day easier for busy families, operate with discipline, sharpen our culture and become digital, and make trust a competitive advantage. Making life easier for busy families includes our commitment to price leadership, which has been and will remain a cornerstone of our business, as well as increasing convenience to save our customers time. By leading on price, we earn the trust of our customers every day by providing a broad assortment of quality merchandise and services at everyday low prices (“EDLP”). EDLP is our pricing philosophy under which we price items at a low price every day so our customers trust that our prices will not change under frequent promotional activity. Everyday low cost (“EDLC”) is our commitment to control expenses so our cost savings can be passed along to our customers.
Our operations comprise three reportable segments: Walmart U.S., Walmart International and Sam’s Club. We maintain our principal offices in Bentonville, Arkansas.
- Manages the implementation of complex tax activities and initiatives for Specialty tax to ensure compliance and efficiency by collaborating with subject matter experts to maintain and align compliance policies with tax laws and regulations.
- Attending meetings on behalf of the tax department and representing areas of interest
- Managing an assigned property tax portfolio to ensure compliance with real property ad valorem filings, audits, bill payments, and tax planning.
- Execute overall real property tax administration and appeal strategy for assigned states by compiling data and reports as needed to assist with development of appeal presentations for hearings and for internal analysis of appeal opportunities.
- Reviewing property assessments and notices with state and local tax assessing authorities independently or with 3rd party consultants in various states for appeal opportunities.
- Performing independent Income/Expense valuation analysis to determine if assessments are equitable.
- Proficiency in leading and directing 3rd party consultants and attorneys to provide critical technical guidance in property valuations, appeals, and litigation using an in-depth knowledge of relevant statues, court decisions, real estate appraisal techniques, and local customs and practices.
- Be able to effectively engage state and local tax assessing authorities independently or with 3rd party consultants on valuation matters.
- Reviewing and approving property assessments, tax bills and preparing property tax budgets.
- Researching and respond to various administrative matters involving property assessments and taxation.
- Assisting the Team in establishing controls to ensure cost effectiveness in appeals and maximize corporate goals and objectives.
Who We are Looking For?
- Strategic thinking with bias for action
- Proficiency in researching and analyzing large amounts of data to create impactful customer centric business cases with clear priorities
- Proactively analyze emerging trends, anticipate related organizational needs, develop strategies for meeting them and ensure planning process is integrated with the overall business plan
- Oversee the implementation of strategic initiatives, including allocation of resources, while balancing long-term strategy and short-term objective
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Navigates ambiguity and simplifies the complex; draws out insights and develops practical solutions to real problems
- Think critically and systematically about complex business problems and opportunities
- Drive cross-functional projects; identify goals, success criteria, assumptions, own discovery of project requirements through deep subject matter expertise, resource requirements and timelines.
- Collaborative but also able to work with a high degree of autonomy
- Relationship building and influence
- Can build strong relationships with executive team and peers alike; leverages trust and empathy to influence and drive outcomes without formal authority
- Collaborate with partners across multiple geographies to achieve beneficial working relationships and positive outcomes
- Communication skills
- Leverage fact-based data & analytics insights from multiple perspectives to build a cohesive narrative, form a perspective, organize thoughts and present in a clear, concise & meaningful way
- Coach others on how to communicate effectively using persuasion and consensus building techniques
- Financial acumen and business judgment
- Perfectly comfortable with analyzing financial statements; able to partner closely with finance, accounting and various other stakeholders
- Able to understand key strategic decisions and connect with downstream effects to the broader business context
- Leadership and influence
- Coach and support associates and stakeholders to develop their understanding of business and performance to identify solutions to deliver improved services, solutions and relationships
- Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs
- Mentor others in the process of devising alternatives and assessing their impact
How Do We Work?
A close-knit team that supports and challenges each other, via:
- Problem Solving – Handle difficult, unexpected or complex challenges by defining the problem using relevant information to evaluate options and implement effective solutions.
- Learning Agility and Innovation – Curious, adaptive, continuously learning and committed to a growth mindset. Is creative, takes smart risks, moves with speed, develops new ideas and applies new concepts that improve the performance of the function.
- Influential Communication – Listens, comprehends and conveys information through various forms of communication to influence stakeholders, enhance clarity, engage and inspire. Tailor’s messages to a wide variety of audiences and tell the story using facts, data and supporting anecdotes.
- Bachelor’s degree in in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Real Estate, Business Management or another degree in related field and 5-7+ years’ experience in tax consulting or relevant area.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Real Estate, Business Management or another degree with MBA, MST or JD
- 5-7+ years of property tax-related experience preferred.
- Candidates with appropriate valuation or legal designations preferred.
This role is based in Bentonville AR with some travel in various markets.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field and 2 years’ experience in accounting, income tax compliance, payroll tax, or related area OR 4 years’ experience in accounting, income tax compliance, payroll tax, or related area.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Leadership of cross-functional task forces or projects, Supervising Associates
Masters: Accounting, Masters: Business, Masters: Finance, Masters: Mathematics, Masters: Real Estate
Financial & Insurance – Certified Public Accountant – Certification
702 SW 8TH ST, BENTONVILLE, AR 72716, United States of America