Facebook is the largest social media network, enabling over a billion users to openly connect with friends and family, share content, and discover the world.
This person will focus on the strategic planning, design, and implementation of taxonomies to help achieve goals for the Meta Taxonomy team, such as supporting the categorizing and labeling, machine learning and content understanding systems at Meta. The crux of this work is in developing, maintaining, growing a taxonomy for a complex, many-faceted product while integrating it into a broader taxonomy/ontology infrastructure. The work also includes following taxonomy management best practices, metadata and vocabulary standards, and building cross-functional relationships. This role in particular will support taxonomies for Marketplace products and will help create a unified product taxonomy with detailed attribute metadata to facilitate machine learning, power front-end user experiences, and drive the development of our product catalog. The person in this role will be expected to be an experienced taxonomist able to quickly expand knowledge domains.
Taxonomist – Marketplace Responsibilities:
- Utilize industry best practices for taxonomy development and maintenance.
- Consult with internal product partners to expand our taxonomy to support product and business goals while remaining faithful to underlying structures.
- Partner with stakeholders to launch new commerce experiences that utilize taxonomy such as navigation, filters, merchandising units, and recommendations.
- Drive the product strategy for Marketplace taxonomy.
- Develop, manage, maintain, and iterate on a unified taxonomy for all of the products that can be bought and sold on Facebook Marketplace.
- Develop, manage, maintain, and iterate on a unified taxonomy of product attribute metadata.
- 5+ years of experience in developing taxonomies/or ontologies to support a variety of systems both for front-end and back-end use cases.
- Experience in building taxonomies and experiences for ecommerce.
- Experience with developing complex taxonomies, thesauri, and ontologies.
- Experience with evaluating and implementing taxonomies to support systems such as search systems, content management systems, digital asset management systems, or product classification.
- Experience with a variety of topic/domain types and complexity of taxonomies.
- Experience with systems and business analysis.
- Experience communicating and presenting taxonomy principles and standards.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or Information Management.
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python.
- Experience in analyzing large volumes of data with SQL or other query languages.
- Experience building taxonomies for machine learning classification systems.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.