Requisition ID: 149935
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Contributes to the overall success of the U.S. Finance team, ensuring specific individual goals, plans, and initiatives are executed and delivered in support of the team’s business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
Is this role right for you? You will be responsible for:
- Responsible for the Operational Accounting functions owned by the U.S. Financial Reporting and Operational Accounting Team, including:
- Assisting in completing the monthly and quarterly accounting close process for the U.S. Broker Dealer, NY Agency Bank, and Houston branch of the Bank of Nova Scotia.
- Performing various bank and control reconciliations
- Wiring funds as applicable and performing bank reconciliation analysis related to funding needs
- Assist in preparing financial statements for semi-annual and annual audited financial statements, ensuring compliance with US GAAP.
- Assist in controlling the balance sheet by ensuring all balance sheet accounts are appropriately analyzed and reconciled monthly.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly analytics, quarterly Board packages, and other various management packages.
- Work with the team to help administer the balance sheet attestation and substantiation process.
- Develop and enhance internal work papers to make the documentation more robust and processes more efficient
- Work with the key business support partners in learning and gaining an understanding of the business to ensure the appropriate results are recorded as well as to become a valued contributor to the overall control environment.
- Assist with the U.S. abandoned property reporting process.
- Work with enterprise Finance in ensure intercompany balances are properly reconciled.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
- Champion a high performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Champion a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
Do you have the skills you need to succeed? We’d love to work with you, if you have:
- Accounting or Finance Degree
Experience & Skills:
- Knowledge of Finance/Accounting Principles
- Excellent Communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be organized and able to multi-task
- Familiarity with pivot tables and macros
- 3+ years in Financial Reporting at a large and complex banking organization or consulting firm
- In depth understanding of the General Ledger, month-end and quarter-end close processes
- Skilled at intercompany reporting and controls.
- Experience in Abandoned property and Related Party reporting a plus.
- Strong analytical skills to perform complex account and system reconciliations
- Proficient knowledge on account attestation process and applicable internal controls a plus.
- Experience with Peoplesoft GL a plus.
- Experience in transitioning to new reporting platforms a plus.
- Able to work effectively in a dynamically changing environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including presentation skills to senior management
Location(s): United States : New York : New York City
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: “for every future”, we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Job Segment: Accounting, Investment Banking, Technical Support, Bank, Banking, Finance, Technology