The Home Depot
The Home Depot is the world’s largest home improvement retailer.
The Home Depot is able to offer virtual employment of this position in the following states: AL, AK, AZ, AR, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY
The Lease Accounting team serves as a strategic and innovative partner focused on supporting business growth, as part of a world-class controllership organization identifying opportunities to increase productivity and improve operational efficiency.
The Sr. Lease Analyst will support all aspects of the accounting for the Company’s lease obligations in accordance with ASC 842, which includes a portfolio of lease obligations of over $8 billion. This role will work closely with cross functional teams such as Real Estate / Property Management, Tax, Legal, FP&A and SEC reporting.
As a Sr. Analyst, you will have a strong background in US GAAP accounting requirements, including exposure to ASC 842, public company experience, as well as excellent written, communication and organization skills. Must be an extremely detail oriented self-starter with the ability to work independently.
Key Abilities & Competencies:
A person who is successful in this role will excel in many or all of the below key areas:
- Action Oriented and Drives Results: Identifies new opportunities and areas of improvement. Takes action on tasks and challenges. Has a track record of meeting and often exceeding individual goals even in the presence of obstacles and setbacks. Consistently measures against projected results, making necessary adjustments
- Cultivates Innovation: Consistently evaluates for opportunities that will lead to current and future efficiencies/engagement/growth
- Drives Engagement, Collaborates and Is Flexible: Drives to do one’s best, encourages others to do so. Invites input and shares ownership and visibility. Recognizes the need to be flexible by adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
- Communicates Effectively: Presents information in a clear, concise, and honest manner. Communicates effectively across different mediums with all stakeholders, both at a peer and senior level.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities & Key Accountabilities:
- Support monthly and year-end close processes for lease-related areas, including preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations, account analysis, accrual calculations, and other related accounting documents/schedules
- Perform lease reviews & lease classification tests in accordance with ASC 842
- Support preparation efforts for monthly financial statements; provide analysis on financial information and accounting transactions
- Prepare supporting schedules and documentation for financial statement disclosures on a quarterly basis
- Analyze, report, and make comparisons to industry/company benchmarks; determine trends and prepare cost analyses. Gather disparate data from various data sources; analyze and normalize to ensure data integrity for analysis. Effectively prepare data analysis and reports for ad hoc requests. Provide insights through KPIs, metrics and other reporting to drive action
- Assist/lead in significant ad-hoc projects including streamlining existing processes, implementing future state accounting technology and tools, and leading accounting workstreams for new business requirements
- Regular involvement in process improvement, automation, and related effort
- Provide recommendations based on findings and analysis. Provide input on policies and procedures
- Collaborate and partner with cross-functional teams across the Controllership and Finance organizations
- Support with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance: help define requirements for processes and controls; develop and update process documents; identify opportunities to improve quality, efficiency, and effectiveness
Nature and Scope:
- This Position typically reports to Lead Analyst, Manager or Sr. Manager
- This Position has 0 Direct Reports
Environmental Job Requirements:
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Conditions could produce mild discomfort on occasion.
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Standard Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
- The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor’s degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 2 years
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Thorough understanding of accounting and / or finance principles and practices, generally accepted accounting principles
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software as well as other accounting software programs
- Experience with different innovative technologies like RPA, AI, Machine Learning, and business query & analytics tools is highly desired
- Experience with data analytics / data visualization
- Prior Experience reviewing journal entries and account reconciliations highly preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strategic mindset, strong analytical, problem solving, and research skills
- Ability to work independently and complete work on schedule within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to anticipate work needs and interact professionally with customers
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Action Oriented
- Nimble Learning
- Cultivates Innovation
- Instills Trust
- Optimizes Work Processes
- Builds Networks
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Drives Results