Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
We believe that Amazon is the best place in the world to do indirect tax calculation and collection work.
Amazon strives to be the Earth’s most customer-centric company, where people can find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online. One byproduct of that mission entails becoming one of the world’s largest collectors of online indirect taxes and fees including US sales taxes, EU value-added taxes, and other global transaction taxes. The Tax Engine Business Team ensures that Amazon has the right technology and processes to not only calculate and collect those taxes accurately in a rapidly changing business and tax environment but also support continued business growth and innovation by providing world-class services to millions of our customers and sellers all over the world.
Amazon is looking for experienced product managers and/or tax professionals with an interest and aptitude for solving complex and impactful indirect tax collection challenges. As a Senior Product Manager you will help develop and evolve our indirect tax technology, processes, services, features, and operations. You will be expected to respond to new or changing tax legislative/compliance and business needs, and drive the end-to-end project lifecycle required to adapt or enhance our indirect tax collection capabilities to meet those needs. You will partner closely with cross functional teams across nearly all of Amazon to gather business and tax requirements, convert those requirements into product specifications, collaborate with software and business teams, and continue to engage through the entire lifecycle of our projects from design-to-delivery.
A day in the life
• Meeting with tax, business, and software teams to understand their objectives and identify the associated indirect tax calculation and collection implications. Identifying the required technical, process and operational changes to support those objectives. Developing product functional and user experience requirements, feature specifications, and standard operating procedures.
• Actively participating in projects throughout their lifecycle to ensure that the requirements are met to include making tax rules configurations, specifying and reviewing test cases, troubleshooting issues, and ensuring alignment across teams.
• Understanding your customers (consumers, sellers, taxing authorities, and Amazon internal teams) to ensure that our product development consistently meets the objectives and experience expectations of our customers. Developing long term product strategies and associated product roadmaps seeking consensus to prioritize those strategies, documenting trade-offs, and removing obstacles as necessary.
• Providing general indirect tax calculation and collection super subject matter expertise to internal and external teams including legal, customer service, public policy, media relations, business development, tax software vendors and service providers, taxing authorities and other governmental entities, and industry and tax groups.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 5+ years of experience in product or program management, product marketing, business development or technology
• Experience with end to end product delivery
• Experience with feature delivery and tradeoffs of a product
• Experience overseeing roadmap strategy and definition
• Experience implementing and maintaining indirect tax calculation software products including Vertex, Avalara, ONESOURCE, TaxJar, Systax, or Synchro
• Working knowledge of indirect taxes including US sales taxes, EU value-added taxes and other global transaction taxes, tax invoicing and other government integrations
• Experience leading cross functional projects; ability to navigate complex and unstructured cross functional environment
• Experience with end-to-end product delivery; ability to conceptualize and manage multiple projects
• Experience using BI tools including Alteryx, Quicksight, or Tableau
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience building and maintaining relationships with business partners; team-oriented, customer-centric attitude
• Detail oriented, highly organized, decisive, and self-motivated
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.