American Express is a global services company, providing customers with exceptional access to products, insights, and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible – and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
Global Commercial Services (GCS) provides a range of card programs and expense management tools to help large, medium and small businesses around the world manage almost all the facets of their business spending. The GCS Lead Financial Office (LFO) team is responsible for providing financial management, decision support, and planning & results analysis to the Chief Commercial Officer and her direct reports to help achieve BU and AXP financial targets. The team works closely with GCS business partners and multiple Finance teams to drive insights which have a meaningful impact on GCS business strategy.
This Director-level role is responsible for providing strategic financial analyses, results, and planning support for Kabbage. The role will focus on delivering on GCS’ objective of achieving primacy through development of the small business ecosystem and growing our line of credit product. This position will partner closely with the Kabbage product, marketing, analytics, risk, and technology groups as well as Business Checking Account business and finance partners.
This is a high-visibility role with frequent exposure to senior business leaders in Global Commercial Services within a rapidly growing business. As such, the ideal candidate will bring a unique balance of strong analytical skills, expertise in developing new financial processes and frameworks, executive-level communication skills, and flexibility in a changing environment. They will be able to build solid, trust-based relationships with business partners and empower them to deliver outstanding, best-in-class products and solutions for GCS while simultaneously driving optimal levels of profitability for shareholders.
- Lead an established, high-performing team
- Own the end-to-end process relating to financial analyses, planning and results for the Kabbage line of business
- Partner with business leaders to ensure we are asking the ‘right’ questions and measuring the right outcomes
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with partners on the Product, Finance, Marketing, Analytics, Risk, and Technology team
- Communicate actionable recommendations relating to strategic business questions at hand, including being able to effectively communicate complex ideas and actively seek to drive strategy for the business
- Coach and oversee the team to ensure continued development of technical and analytical skills, lending economics, and the ability to think through complex questions
Shape the strategic decisions that lead our business forward.
- 5+ years of related experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in finance/Accounting, similar field preferred
- Track record of effectively coaching and developing employees across multiple stages of their career
- Solid commercial acumen, strategic thinking and vision for the long-term evolution of the SME space
- Understanding of product management, pricing, and risk dynamics
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to tailor complex messages to executive audiences with brevity, simplicity and impact
- Effective and inspiring team leadership skills, with proven ability to hire and train top talent and inspire through coaching and recognition
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, continually prioritizing finance and business partner requests while being able to balance attention to detail and accuracy
- Exceptional relationship, leadership and collaboration skills and the ability to work in a highly matrixed environment
- Experience with SQL, including mining and analyzing data from Cornerstone / Yellowbrick, to answer business questions preferred
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
If the role you are applying for is designated as hybrid or onsite, you will be required to demonstrate that you have completed your primary COVID-19 vaccination series (i.e. 2 doses for Moderna/Pfizer and 1 dose for J&J), in order to work in or visit any of our offices. This requirement is subject to legally required accommodations.
US Job Seekers/Employees – Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters to access the three posters.