The Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times is a news media company that’s informing, engaging and empowering audiences across California and the country.
Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at California Times, incorporating Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune, two of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
Job Description Summary
Join the hundreds of innovators, advocates and team members who are making an impact every day at one of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
The Accounting Director directs the establishment and implementation of an organization’s accounting policies and procedures. Has overall responsibility for assigned accounting operations and systems as well as associated analysis and report preparation. Additionally, this individual will manage a team of 4 accountants and 7 staff members who perform the period-end financial close and subsequent balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Will be responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the accounting team, including general ledger, accounts payable and accounts receivable departments. Responsible for the monthly close process, account reconciliations and department KPIs.
- Work closely with the Chief Accounting Officer to assume leadership of projects. Will work on highly complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires working with other departments and coming up with innovative solutions.
- Will be the technical GAAP subject matter expert on most complex/critical areas. Will act as the General Accounting department head in the absence of the Chief Accounting Officer.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls and take a lead role in enhancing current control procedures.
- Responsible for staff development, performance evaluations and finance department structure with the Chief Accounting Officer.
- 4 year college degree in Accounting or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of public accounting experience required.
- 8+ years of total accounting experience.
- CPA highly desirable.
- Solid knowledge of U.S. GAAP.
- Self-starter who can oversee projects and drive for results.
- Proven ability to lead and develop a team of professionals.
- Ability to partner with other departments.
- Detailed and service oriented.
- Ability to meet strict time deadlines and multitask.
- Well-developed Excel, Word and general ledger skills.
- Be a business-minded leader and team player; interested in taking ownership and helping to grow our organization together
The Company is a mandatory vaccination employer for COVID-19 and its variants. The Company requires that its employees be fully vaccinated as of their start date. If you require a medical or religious accommodation we will engage in the interactive process with you. Proof of vaccination will be required prior to start. If we make you an offer and you are not yet vaccinated, we will accommodate a delay in start date. The Company may also mandate that its employees receive vaccine booster.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.