The Vanguard Group is one of the world’s largest investment companies, advising clients and the general public on savings, investment, retirement, personal finance, the economy, and much more.
Vanguard is a leading provider of financial products and services to individual and institutional investors world-wide. Known for its strong ethical business practices and client focus, Vanguard fosters a collaborative, team-oriented environment that rewards and recognizes distinguished individual performance.
As a member of Vanguard’s Securities Finance and Derivatives Legal team, you will be responsible for a broad portfolio of legal matters related to Vanguard’s Securities Finance & Derivatives trading and investment activity.
In this role you will
- Draft & negotiate various legal documents for securities lending, repurchase agreements, derivatives, futures, prime brokerage, TBA trading, as well as general trading agreements and supporting documentation
- Support new services, product developments and initiatives
- Advise, counsel, and educate internal clients and business units on global legal issues impacting securities finance, derivatives, futures, and/or prime brokerage as well as educate and inform for better compliance with policies, regulations and laws
- Maintain a high level of expertise in applicable areas of the law, Vanguard’s business, the mutual fund industry, and the securities financing and/or derivatives industry
- Demonstrates judgment, creativity and technical expertise, breadth of vision and initiative, commitment and accomplishment, communication skills
Competitive candidates will have the following experience and education and demonstrate the following attributes:
- Minimum of 4 years law firm experience or experience working in a buy side shop
- Knowledge and experience in securities lending, repurchase transactions, derivatives, and/or custody (legal documentation and global regulatory framework), including MRAs, GMRAs, MSLAs, GMSLAs, Agent Lending Agreements, ISDAs, CSAs, MSFTAs, Futures and Option Agreements, Prime Brokerage Agreements, CUAs and/or ACAs.
- Track record for highly successful contract and dispute negotiations
- Demonstrate ability to develop positive relationships and work confidently and cooperatively with legal colleagues, business unit managers/employees, and external entities such as outside counsel, clients, vendors, and other business partners
- Maintains high level of expertise in regulatory law, Vanguard’s business and products, and the investment industry. Stays abreast of industry and regulatory developments affecting Vanguard, and maintains affiliations with relevant industry, compliance, and risk associations.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard’s core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Future of Work
During the pandemic, we transitioned to a work from home model for the majority of our crew and we continue to interview, hire, and on-board future crew remotely.
As we have developed the path forward, we have taken a thoughtful approach that both maximizes the advantages of working remotely and the many benefits of coming together and collaborating in a shared workspace. We believe that in-person interactions among our crew are important for preserving our unique culture and advantageous for the personal development of our crew.
When our Crew return to the office, many will work in our hybrid model. A smaller proportion of our crew will operate in the Work from Home work model (for example, field sales crew); or in the Work from Office model (for example, portfolio managers).
The working model that your role falls into will be communicated to you in the interview process – please do ask if you are unsure. We encourage you to make the decision regarding your job interview and offer knowing which model your role will fall into. We will test and learn as our ways of working evolve and will continue to evaluate working models along the way.