Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon Publishing seeks an experienced Senior Financial Analyst to support a global business that delivers premium content to Amazon’s Day One customer: readers. This is an exciting opportunity to join a strategic business that is focused on publishing emerging content and categories. In this role you will be able to exercise your strategic finance partnering skills by working closely with the Head of Amazon Publishing. The successful candidate will be strategic, analytical, and have a demonstrated ability to influence the decisions of senior business leaders through effective verbal and written communication, financial analysis, logical reasoning, and the presentation of alternatives. The role operates in a fast-paced, global, results-oriented environment, and will provide decision support and advice for key senior business leaders.
This position may be located in Seattle, Nashville, Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York City, or Arlington. If outside of Seattle, occasional travel to Seattle will be required.
Key job responsibilities
- Lead financial planning and monthly P&L reviews with the Amazon Publishing Leadership Team
- Controllership of monthly financial reporting; communicate financial impacts from business processes to cross functional stakeholders
- Work closely with both business and finance teams to create/review financial models ranging from new business opportunities to long term plans
- Interface with a wide variety of stakeholders including publishers, marketers, public relations, and creative professionals
- Dive deep on business needs and analyze business opportunities/investments
- Lead and participate in business projects/initiatives as the key finance stakeholder in cross functional teams
- Develop, implement, and improve standardized financial reports
A day in the life
A typical day as a Senior Financial Analyst for Amazon Publishing would include meeting with the leadership team to hear about and advise on priorities and projects; reviewing reports and providing written commentary with insights to stakeholders; and exercising controllership duties such as approving expenditures for content acquisition and marketing. Depending on where we are in the calendar, you are looking backward to evaluate results (e.g. prior investments) ; or looking forward at new opportunities (e.g. opportunity sizing for new projects). An example of an ambiguous problem this role will work to solve is valuation of intangible assets (e.g. content).
About the team
This role is embedded within the business (Amazon Publishing) so more than half of your time would be spent with Amazon Publishing leadership. Most of the team is Seattle-based but you will have global stakeholders as well. This role is nested within the Content Finance Team and your peers lead finance for Kindle Direct Publishing, Comixology, and AbeBooks. Finance colleagues are based in various Amazon offices domestically and internationally; and finance leadership is in Seattle.
- 5+ years of finance experience or a related analytical field.
- Knowledge of financials reporting and data mining tools (Cognos, SQL, Access, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage complex financial models
- Experience working in a fast paced environment similar to a high tech start-up
- Advanced Excel skills
- Strong written and oral communication
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.