Baker Tilly is a full-service accounting and advisory firm.
The main responsibility of the Senior Associate is to provide accounting and financial management services to our clients by providing accurate, timely and useful financial records to them. This role assists the Controller by preparing financial statements, tracking information pertaining to our clients’ key performance indicators and providing advice and insights to our clients.
Client Accounting and Advisory
- Help lead best-in-class customer service to clients and employees at all times. Provide accounting services pertaining to software implementations and set-up, general ledger clean-up, general accounting and financial reporting with an emphasis on being proactive, responsive, timely, professional, and accurate.
- Work with Manager/ Senior Manager to act as a business advisor to clients by providing valuable insights, monitoring key benchmarks, and offering advice on future planning.
- Help provide recommendations for business process improvements and automation using technology based upon knowledge gained relative to the client operations, processes, and business objectives.
- Assist in creating/customizing client financial reports tailored to clients’ needs and goals.
- Assist with managing and building client relationships by acting as liaison to address and resolve client issues, communicating effectively with the client to provide superior client service, and assisting Manager, Senior Manager and/or Relationship Manager (RM) in researching and providing additional advisory services to client.
- Work with project team to scope client needs and estimate fees for project and recurring work.
- Provide accounting related services including tasks such as ensuring the accuracy of account balances, performing account reconciliations, preparing/reviewing journal entries and financial statements.
- Identify accounting, financial statement, and reporting issues, based on professional guidelines.
- Perform self-review of client deliverables for accuracy, completeness and timeliness, as well as ensuring appropriate corrections are made prior to submitting to Manager/ Senior Manager for final review.
- Practice effective two-way communication by proactively communicating and/or asking for status of work, asking/answering questions in a timely manner, and/or seeking clarity when needed to keep work progressing.
- Identify and suggest efficiency improvements to our processes and procedures such as the deployment or optimization of technology or from better workflow planning.
- Monitor results of team and client engagements by regularly reviewing key metrics of performance (e.g. utilization, time budget vs. actual, etc.) and bring forward ideas for improvement.
- Assist Manager/ Senior Manager in identifying internal control issues within client engagements and provide recommendations for improvement as needed.
- Work with the Manager/ Senior Manager to successfully on-board newly assigned clients and integrate into the process when/where appropriate and needed.
Team and Individual Development
- Maintain and expand knowledge base in professional accounting standards.
- Deepen specialized industry knowledge through on-the-job experiences and internal/external learning events.
- Integrate new knowledge and skills into daily work and share with colleagues as appropriate.
- Continuously invest time in understanding existing and emerging technology applicable to our clients and services.
- Assist with the supervision and development of staff. Improve staff’s core accounting and advisory skills and competencies by providing regular and timely review and feedback of staff work and/or client interactions.
- Manage time and projects effectively by communicating frequently with engagement team members and delegating work as appropriate.
- Utilize knowledge of clients’ business and understanding of BT products and services to help make recommendations, with the support and insights of the Manager/ Senior Manager and/or RM, for additional and/or expanded offerings.
- Recognize and bring to Manager/ Senior Managers attention when work becomes a possible out of scope opportunity that could/should be considered for additional billing.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field required.
- Three (3) plus years of progressively responsible experience in professional accounting functions.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles related to classifying, recording, and summarizing data and making computations to compile financial records.
- CPA preferred, but not required.
- Solid understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Proficient in QuickBooks On-line (QBO) and/or Sage Intacct required
- Experience in Bill.com a plus
- Proficient in MS Office, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
- Advanced Excel skills required
- Ability to provide exceptional client service with a high professional demeanor and ability to handle matters confidentially
- Ability to work in a cross-functional, rapidly changing, deadline driven environment serving multiple clients
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; able to effectively communicate with all levels including clients, team members and team leadership
- Strong attention to detail, adaptability, focus on accuracy, and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to learn new technology and processes quickly
Baker Tilly US, LLP (Baker Tilly) is a leading advisory, tax and assurance firm, providing clients a genuine coast-to-coast and global advantage with critical mass and top-notch talent in major regions of the U.S. and in many of the world’s leading financial centers – New York, London, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago. Baker Tilly is an independent member of Baker Tilly International, a worldwide network of independent accounting and business advisory firms in 148 territories, with 36,000 professionals and a combined worldwide revenue of $4.0 billion.
Many of Baker Tilly’s roles have the opportunity to work remotely. Please discuss with your talent acquisition professional to understand the requirements for an opportunity you are exploring.
For the state of Colorado only, the range of starting salary for this role is $$68,728 to $$103,092. Actual compensation is influenced by a variety of factors including but not limited to level of experience and skill set.
Baker Tilly is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable federal, state or local law.