Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
The AWS Commerce Platform provides the back and front-end services that enable AWS customers to purchase AWS services and understand and manage their infrastructure costs. Our teams tackle some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in the world. We process trillions of events per month using stream processing techniques (Kinesis), process billions of line items via map reduce (EMR), and manage artifacts through the latest in database technologies (DynamoDB and Aurora). We process big data and provide tools for customers to interactively understand their bills. We also provide the analytics that let customers manage billions of dollars of IT usage and spending. Because we sit at the nexus of all AWS services and interact directly with end-customers, we also work closely across all AWS teams to ensure that we offer a great customer experience.
You will lead projects that interface with many teams across AWS including Account Management, Payments, Billing, Tax, Financial, and Accounting groups. As the leader of AWS Billing Operations you will:
• Analyze, evaluate and propose improvements to the business processes and services
• Drive and co-ordinate end-to-end billing process across multiple time zones across Commerce Platform teams
• Leverage existing and build new data stores to drive analytics, metrics and KPIs to measure billing
• Ensure completion of billing processes as per the service-level-agreement
• Build reports and communicate effectively
• Drive projects, product, and feature launches within cross functional teams
• Develop detailed business requirements that can be used to craft product specifications and design
• Work closely with senior management, engineering management, and engineers to deliver highly-scalable and robust software products.
As a manager of Systems Development Engineering, you will provide exceptional leadership and management for a staff of local Engineers, Analysts and Business Intelligence Engineers who support the Commerce Platform billing across the globe in all regions.
Enjoy being a really great people manager. Having the ability to build, motivate, and mentor a group of world-class engineers is the most important part of this role. You should have a track record with retaining top talent, excel in day-to-day people and performance management, and have the ability to recruit new engineers.
Proven ability to take initiative. You must be comfortable with operating at a global scale and working across teams in a highly agile environment. Driving programs across boundaries inside the organization that benefit all of Amazon. You have the ability to not only take initiative but your ability to plan and track is second to none. You are able to translate customers’ requirements into an actionable roadmap. Delivering the right things at the right time with competing priorities at times.
Knows how to run a tight, lean, efficient operation. Will be very data driven. Utilizing metrics to measure performance gaps and increase productivity by improving the operational processes. The ability to think not only at the local level but also drive improvement on the global scale as well.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
About the team
The Atlas team in Commerce Platform is responsible for orchestrating the monthly billing for AWS. We
• BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
• 5+ years people management experience.
• 5+ years automating routine tasks
• 5+ years with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience in Shell, Perl or Python.
• Experience in delivering projects/products in a fast-paced, multi-disciplined, and distributed-responsibility environment.
• Experienced in prioritize and analyze tradeoffs, communicate clearly, and effectively influence internally and externally, across organization boundaries.
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related field with 1+ year relevant experience
• Strong verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated technical leadership
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive
• Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.