Mattel creates innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain, and develop children through play.
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
Mattel Finance hires leaders. Every one of our finance professionals works in a global finance organization interacting with senior leadership and with the accountability and responsibility to grow a career. We are a strong and nimble finance department focused on driving business results in the most cost-effective manner. We pride ourselves on consistent processes, fast decisions and increased accountability.
Mattel is seeking a Director of Brand Finance to oversee various categories within the Mattel portfolio in El Segundo, CA. Reporting to the VP GBT Brand Finance and Strategy, the Director of Finance operates in a cross-category finance leadership role to support the GBT and Category General Managers collectively responsible for a $6B+ portfolio. Possible categories in El Segundo include Dolls / Vehicles / Action Figures / Games / Building Sets / Plush.
What Your Impact Will Be:
- Establishing, managing, and measuring financial objectives for the GBT
- Analyzing company’s financial results with respect to profits, trends, costs, and compliance with budgets. Issue regular status and ad hoc reports to senior finance and GBT leadership
- Manage ongoing profitability for the brand portfolio including:
- Pro Forma analysis for new brand/segment launches or business launches and impact to P&L
- Scenario planning with GBT leadership to understand implication of company goals to future year financials
- Adherence to margin targets, SG&A, advertising, and profit targets
- Portfolio management against SKU productivity targets and CAPEX goals
- Delivering on optimizing for growth (OFG) initiatives
- Monitor industry through movements in internal POS and NPD to understand Mattel’s share and standing amount competitive set
- Work with brand leadership to brainstorm innovation, strategy, expansion opportunities, competitor analysis, industry development
- Assisting senior management in financial planning and results management. Work with other team members to understand revenue and cost drivers and define appropriate reports for tracking.
- Align with other finance teams including FP&A, Supply Chain, and Franchise to ensure alignment on corporate goals, deal terms for in and out licensing, and cost inputs that may affect future year product development
- Lead some GBT Finance core processes (rotated amongst Directors), which can include:
- Brand P&L management, investor relations / quarterly earnings support, Long Range Growth Scenario planning, annual cost factor rates updates, systems (LPT and Anaplan ongoing enhancements, partner with KPI team Tableau)
- Other finance and administrative duties as required.
Internal candidates to be considered based on experience relative to the position.
- Team Leadership: 3-7 team members (Direct Reports: 2-3), dependent on GBT Category responsibility
What We’re Looking For:
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- 10+ years of experience with proven track record working in various finance capacities (e.g. FP&A, Division Finance, Brand Finance, Financial Reporting, etc.).
- Effective and influential in working through a highly matrixed structure to deliver the end solution; flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- The position requires innovative and entrepreneurial thinking, exceptional leadership, cross-functional team leadership, a strong results orientation, and ability to understand and apply analytics to business decisions.
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.