Liberty Mutual Insurance
Liberty Mutual Insurance offers international insurance policies that protect people’s most valuable assets.
Liberty Mutual is seeking an experienced professional to join our US FP&A team as a Director of Expense Planning and Forecasting to oversee Financial Expense Planning for our US functions supporting an organization with $28B in revenue and $9B in annual expenses. This role is responsible for developing strategic targets, business partnering, and driving budgeting, forecasting, and analytics for the Global Retail Markets (GRM) US organization.
In this role, you will be a leader in the decision-making process while helping to transform our team into catalysts and strategists. You will lead a team of budget managers and expense analysts in partnering with key finance and business stakeholders to inform, influence and build functional expense budgets, and present on our near-term expense trajectory. This includes connecting our strategy and long-term goals to our near-term budgeting decisions, measurement, assessment, and challenging forward-looking expense trajectories, and providing key financial and budgeting expertise to the GRM US organization. You will be responsible for influencing senior leadership in operationalizing the overall GRM US expense vision via budget management discussions, identifying opportunities for efficiencies, challenging status-quo, and analyzing and articulating business cases for areas of investment. This role will need to be able to build strong relationships and have challenging conversations with key leaders across the organization including US Finance, GRM US functional, and GRM FP&A customers and stakeholders, with a strong focus on gaining buy-in and alignment from senior operational leaders across the organization.
The ideal candidate for this role has strong financial acumen, excels at collaboration, gaining buy-in and building trust, is comfortable challenging and asking difficult questions of leadership, has strong executive presence and ability to influence leadership decisions, and experience coaching and developing a strong team.
- Lead, manage, coach, and develop a highly-engaged team to drive the budget business partnership and process for the GRM US organization
- Identify, assess, quantify and articulate overall opportunities for expense efficiencies as well as strategic investment areas, challenging business stakeholders and status quo as appropriate
- Lead complex expense management discussions across key Functional Senior Leaders and US Finance colleagues, making recommendations and influencing decision making
- Define business-case parameters and partner with functional stakeholders to evaluate investment decisions and make a recommendation for the annual budget
- Communicate a clear vision and drive understanding of our expense management strategy and trajectory across the organization. Drive clear connections between our strategy and our near-term budget trajectories
- Drive budget execution, support and analytics directly for US CFO, US FP&A Functional Directors and CAO and Transformation organizations. Present key drivers of year-over-year efficiencies and investments to partners. Partner with operational stakeholders to create detailed-grounds up budgets
- Partner with Reporting & Insights leader in incorporating key trends and expectations into the current year forecast. Articulate drivers of forecast variances to plan, and identify ways to close gaps to expense targets and drive incremental savings
- Partner with the GRM FP&A team and IT Finance to ensure full understanding and analyze overhead and other expenses. Present key drivers of year-over-year changes to US CFO and leadership
- Establish and foster strong connections with US CFO, US FP&A colleagues, GRM FP&A team, and key functional customers and stakeholders to effectively collaborate and build a deep understanding of the expense forecasts & plans and connectivity to other areas of the business and P&L
- Provide thought-leadership for continuously improving our budgeting process and utilizing a new technology solution
- Manage resources in the Shared Services FP&A Hub to drive process and execution of expense planning work. Identify new opportunities to streamline and create efficiencies in the way work. Lead due diligence and knowledge transition processes as new work is identified
- Bachelor`s degree (Accounting or Finance). CPA or advanced degree in Accounting, Finance or Business preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of accounting or finance experience
- Must demonstrate ability to execute thoroughly in a fast-paced work environment, adapting quickly to changing conditions to achieve results
- Possesses superior communication skills to influence and collaborate with all levels of the organizations to gain support for ideas and execute on projects that deliver value to customers
- Comfortable leading meetings, making strategic recommendations to senior management and giving presentations to increasingly large audiences
- Advanced understanding of Finance Tools and Analytical Methods
- High level of proven financial/accounting expertise needed to set clear priorities for product and understand business value impacts
- Technical proficiency required to participate in sprint planning and have an informed, independent voice
- Strong influencing skills in order to be seen as the decision maker when interfacing with business, and willingness to dissent with both teams and business
- Proven experience with Agile practices and expectations
- Comfortable with making decisions with some level of uncertainty
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That’s why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you’ll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG’s Insider Pro and Computerworld’s 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers for Women and one of America’s Best Employers for New Graduates-as well as one of America’s Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.