Growing Up Green Charter Schools
Growing Up Green Charter Schools creates a joyful and safe learning environment built for each student's academic and social-emotional success.
GUGCS Finance Manager
Mission Statement: The Growing Up Green Charter School (GUGCS) supports children to be conscious, contributing members of their community through a rigorous, anti-racist, anti-bias, curriculum and an engaging green culture. Graduates of GUGCS will be prepared to attend high-performing schools where their interdisciplinary academic foundation, knowledge of sustainability, and strong sense of self sets them apart as leaders and social justice advocates of the future.
Growing Up Green is a network of progressive charter schools in Queens, NY. For over 13 years, Growing Up Green has empowered children to be successful, thoughtful members of their city through a strong community, rigorous curriculum, and an engaging school culture. Growing Up Green currently serves over 1200 students, with 250 employees working across four campuses.
- Maintain general ledger and subsidiary journals to support financial activities/transactions
- Work with leadership to develop and manage annual and multi-year budgets.
- Oversee A/P and A/R functions & Complete reconciliation of bank statements
- Oversee maintenance of accurate records of all financial transactions.
- Oversee Month close at the end of each month
- Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal financial reporting requirements.
- Prepare financial reports for leadership and/or the governing board of directors/trustees
- Ensure proper documentation and implementation of government-funded grant programs
- Record and track income and expenses related to all public and private contracts and grants.
- Analyze and prepare the schedules for annual audits and work closely with outside CPA firms
- Attend meetings with board of directors/trustees and/or finance committee.
- Review financial back-up documentations.
- Provide routine feedback to team members for accuracy and completeness.
- Finalize and Process payroll and related tasks (Process 401K).
- Complete FS-25s and 10Fs for Title Funding and other Federal Grants
- Prepare and Distribute 1099s & Review W-2s
- Provide Training and support to finance team as needed
- Close the books for the end of the Fiscal year
- Manage 990 Questionnaire preparation and Prepare quarterly and annual reports required by the school’s authorizer
- Manage and execute A/P and A/R functions and Maintain accurate records of all financial transactions.
- Use accrual accounting for entries including correct dates and descriptions.
- Code expenses using existing COA and most recent budget.
- Maintain vendor files including required W-9s
- Review and analyze leases, contracts, and other transactions to ensure proper recording
- Process, post, and review all cash receipts, cash disbursements, revenues, and expenses in the accounting system in accordance with GAAP.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 5+ years of accounting, financial reporting, and financial management experience, including audit management.
- Prior experience managing and prioritizing the work of team members is preferred.
- Prior experience managing multiple projects and clients is preferred.
- Prior experience working in a non-profit, charter school, or socially responsible organization is a plus.
You Should Know:
- Microsoft Office 365 with strong knowledge of Excel
- QuickBooks, Intacct, FundEZ, or similar accounting software
- Payroll Management Software (ADP, Paychex, or similar)
Your Qualifications / Skills:
- Developing budgets
- Managing multiple clients
- Project management
- Tracking budget expenses
- Team management
- Critical thinking
- Managing processes
- Motivating others
- Results driven
- Analysis & Reporting