Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon JWO builds computer vision and sensor fusion algorithms to automate traditional grocery store checkout to eliminate lines – you just grab what you want and go! Our checkout-free shopping experience is powered by computer vision and sensor fusion methods, which automatically detect when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you’re done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we’ll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go.
You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and given the size of this initiative, you’ll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon in different locations. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that’s higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems that, frankly, haven’t been solved at scale before – anywhere. Along the way, we guarantee that you’ll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
Our team consists of multi-disciplinary engineers with specializations in a variety of fields including distributed compute, compute optimization for neural network inference and training, algorithm development and computer vision. If you want to learn and grow in an entrepreneurial environment and learn from the best engineers, this role is for you. You’ll work closely with senior engineers and managers who have built JWO from its inception, and will have the opportunity to learn and grow as you solve new challenges.
A day in the life
As a Software Development Engineer, you will help solve a variety of technical challenges and mentor other engineers. You will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables and build quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the team. You will help invent new features, design, develop and deploy highly scalable and reliable distributed services. You will work with a variety of core languages and technologies including Java, C++, Linux, Python, and AWS technologies.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, C#, Rust, GoLang including object-oriented design
Bachelor’s degree in computer science related fields.
1+ years equivalent experience in software development
BS in Computer Science or related technical field (In lieu of degree, 4 years of relevant work experience).
Proficient in at least one of: Java, C++, C# or other statically compiled language
Experience with one or more scripting languages: Ruby, Python, etc.
- Academic and/or industry experience with one of more of the following domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning or large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience with designing and building large-scale systems in a multi-tiered, distributed environment (Service Oriented Architecture).
- Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and project planning/execution skills including estimating and scheduling.
- Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities. Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly.
- Experience working in start-up mode building products and services from the ground up.
- Experience with AWS cloud services
- Evidence of working with existing systems; curious and able to learn new codebases
- Able to deliver results in a cross-functional team, making high-quality contributions to other systems and libraries
- Experience creating extensible, well-abstracted designs and driving consensus with other engineers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.