Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Compute Cloud (EC2) has changed the landscape for computing – from startups through the Fortune 500. This culture of innovation has permanently altered how individuals and business think about computing resources.
Now, we look to change the game AGAIN with a new and disruptive model of computing. We are hiring innovative engineers for AWS Edge – a start-up like opportunity to build a new line of business, with new technologies, from the ground-up.
AWS Edge is bringing fully managed and configurable compute and storage racks built with AWS-designed hardware that you can use to operate a seamless hybrid cloud. AWS Edge extends native AWS services to virtually any customer data center, co-location space, or on a fully managed multi-tenant Local Zone.
We aim to hire engineers who will thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative and open environment, who aren’t afraid to dive-deep to solve seemingly impossible challenges, who want to build rock solid 24×7 never-fail, highly-secure, software at world-class scale and who obsess over customers.
Our team is focused on building tooling to support the lifecycle of various Edge products. This includes the Outpost, Local Zone, and Wavelength family of products. Our team gets a unique view of our customers as we follow multiple Edge products through their lifecycle; from order, to build, to decommission.
We are focused on the automation of manual processes to support rapid growth and to gather and report data to inform our business of customer needs.
Key job responsibilities
- Lead service architecture on direct and neighboring teams.
- Participate and collaborate through all phases of the software development lifecycle (e.g. design, implementation, code reviews, test, debug)
- Demonstrating ownership of the operational responsibility for the services we own and develop.
- Provide feedback and technical guidance to team members.
- Guiding team processes and development practices and look for opportunities to raise the ideas of others on the team.
- Mentor team members through their career development.
A day in the life
- Writing code in a variety of languages and technologies, from AWS Lambda to scripting languages on bare metal where necessary.
- Writing and evaluating detailed designs, specifications, and milestone break down documents for upcoming work.
- Participation in standups, retrospectives, code reviews, design reviews, operational retrospectives.
- Communicating with teammates on a regular basis to collaborate on team goals, seek diverse opinions, and share learnings.
About the team
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting and growing new members. We have a mix of experience levels and tenures. We’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, respectful code reviews.
Our team is experienced and supportive of new members to ensure your long term success at Amazon.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or Perl
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems.
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
- Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers.
- Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team.
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.