Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband internet connectivity to un-served and under-served communities around the world. In this role, you will be bringing that vision to life by architecting, developing and testing the communication systems payload software that provides the radio link connectivity between the satellites to customer-terminals and the ground-based internet gateways.
Key job responsibilities
In this role, you will drive the design, development, and operation of a variety of key functions such as commanding, telemetry, power control, hardware interfaces, and autonomous capabilities for each satellite throughout its lifetime from launch to de-orbit.
In this role, you will:
- Own unique embedded software functions through design, implementation (in C, C++, RUST or other), test, and integration in an embedded Linux or real-time operating system (RTOS) environment.
- Write software to interact with devices/electronics using I2C, I3C, SPI, RS-422, RS-485, Ethernet, etc. communications.
- Work closely with hardware teams to support board design, bring-up, and verification, as well as integration and test.
- Follow best practices in high reliability embedded software development to ensure high levels of satellite reliability and availability.
- Work on the Satellite Communication Systems Payload.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
A day in the life
Come work at Amazon! We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in space-based systems design. Come help us solve the difficult and rewarding development challenges in building highly reliable, power efficient and low-cost satellite avionics!
About the team
Our team tackles many critical satellite functions including power management, hardware interfaces, command & telemetry, and autonomous control. We are looking for an outstanding software engineer to participate in all phases of software development from requirements through implementation and test to operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years experience in delivering software in a production environment.
- Experience developing embedded, real-time software in assembly, C, C++ required.
- Hands-on experience in designing, developing and testing embedded software in C/C++ for high-reliability applications (satellite avionics, mission critical systems, communication systems, industrial control, automotive, medical devices etc.).
- Knowledge/experience of board bring up, BSP development, OS/driver level software development and debugging.
- Knowledge/experience with telecommunications, data communications (routers and switches), Layer 1 of communications protocol stack , RF and Antenna systems experience will be a plus, but not required.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.