Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
AWS Security is seeking a software development manager to build automation that finds security issues in AWS systems. Each day, hundreds of thousands of developers make billions of transactions worldwide on our cloud. They harness the power of Amazon Web Services (AWS) to enable innovative applications, websites, and businesses. The AWS Security team owns security for all of these services offered by AWS, including EC2, S3, Lambda, and more than 150 others. Our Application Security team works with builders across AWS to ensure that AWS products are secure. We dive deep into security technologies such as new authentication systems, hardware security components, cryptography, system hardening, and massive-scale audit analysis.
Our team is looking for software development manager to help us continue to raise the security bar for cloud computing. You will build tools that automatically detect security issues in AWS systems. Your team will apply cutting-edge automated security analysis to ensure bugs in AWS services under development are found before they are deployed to customers. You will manage a software analysis platform that provides critical visibility into the security of AWS systems for AWS leaders.
This is a role that combines robust software development of scalable systems, software security, and advanced analysis of systems at scale. We help AWS developers build security into their systems, and we help AWS Security personnel verify that systems are secure. Our tools target all types of AWS systems in a range of domains including web services, IoT, robotics, hypervisors, and cryptography. Our systems must be scalable to support a large and growing developer population that is innovating quickly.
You are someone who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about solving security hurdles in innovative ways. You understand how people management is a critical part of delivering results. You listen to your people and provide honest but constructive guidance to help them advance their careers. You can grow a team by making wise hiring decisions that complement the strengths of your existing team members.
You’ll be part of a world-class team in a fast-paced environment that has the entrepreneurial feel of a start-up. You’ll be surrounded by people who are smart, passionate about securing the cloud, and believe that world class service is critical to customer success.
While you may not be a security expert just yet, in this role you will develop a broad and deep understanding of cloud security and security automation.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Key job responsibilities
Manage team of software engineers. Mentor and help team members grow in their career. Own high visibility and high impact programs and software deliveries, and associated to those programs. Produce results in collaboration with partner teams. Influence stakeholders.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of experience leading, managing & developing high performance teams
- Experience leading large-scale software projects.
- Experience running high-availability systems with an emphasis on operational excellence.
- Deep knowledge of software development practice, distributed computing, and AWS products.
- Deep knowledge of DevOps, build systems, programming languages, and compilers.
- Knowledge of program analysis techniques such as static analysis, dynamic analysis, or formal methods.
- Knowledge of software security.
- Excellent communication and data presentation skills that allow you to clearly, compellingly, and effectively influence audiences internally and externally, across organization boundaries.
- Able to operate autonomously, making the right judgment calls on approach, priorities, and solutions.
- Able to grow and develop your organization through successful hiring and coaching.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.