Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Do you want to create and deliver innovative consumer software products for millions of customers around the world? We are growing and looking for a talented Software Development Engineer to join the Amazon Kids team. Our goal is to create a revolutionary experience for parents and kids to enjoy on our Amazon family of devices, as well as Android and iOS devices. You will design, architect and build innovative systems used every day by people you know.
Working for Amazon Kids offers a creative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment where you will be at the center of Amazon innovation. Come help build the future of Amazon devices and services!
Key job responsibilities
You will be responsible for producing large-scale software systems and customer-facing features from inception to delivery and beyond, using best practices and generating positive feedback. You will need to make technical decisions and trade-offs by having a deep understanding of your customers, your business, and your team’s software architecture. As an owner, you will also focus on operational excellence, continuously improving your team’s development and testing processes. You will troubleshoot, research the root cause of problems, and thoroughly resolve defects inside and outside of your domain. You will also be responsible for helping your team train and mentor both current and future engineers.
A day in the life
You will work with your engineering peers, product managers, and internal stakeholders to launch software that improves major portions of products and services in an agile, customer-centric environment. You will incubate ideas, execute projects, and perform experiments to measure success. You will also regularly participate in code reviews, design discussions, and operations reviews, where you will identify problems and propose solutions. You may participate in your team’s on-call management on a rotational basis. At times you may work with teams all over the world on cross-cutting initiatives and test prototypes to anticipate customer needs.
About the team
We make the Amazon Kids systems that bring together all types of content that kids and parents love, including books, Audible books, movies, TV shows, educational apps and games, plus a child-friendly Alexa experience. It provides peace of mind for parents with award-winning parental controls and monitoring through Parent Dashboard, and a world of fun for kids where they can choose from thousands of the most popular titles and age-appropriate content, all hand-selected by the Amazon Kids team. Amazon Kids is available on Fire Tablets, Fire TV, Kindle e-readers, compatible Android and iOS mobile devices, and compatible Alexa devices. Here’s more information: http://www.amazon.com/kids.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
- Strong knowledge of CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithm design and complexity analysis.
- Proficiency in at least one object-oriented programming language such as Java, C++ or C#
- Broad technical depth and knowledge of n-tiered distributed systems.
- Excellent communication, analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven track record of taking ownership and successfully delivering results.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the complete software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and deployment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders across all levels of the organization.
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.