Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Are you interested in building systems and products to support our integration of customer signals into Search? Would you thrive being part of an engineering team that combines data, infrastructure, NLP, and ML to create experiences that improve the robustness and safety of our Search experience?
The Search team in Tokyo is looking for a Sr. Software Development Engineer to help us craft the future of Search experiences and infrastructure at Amazon.
As a Sr. Software Engineer, you’ll design, build, deploy, and maintain systems to help serve our customers at scale, and improve their shopping experience around the world every day. You’ll work on projects that span the technical stack, from real-time systems to ML pipelines to the occasional interface, leveraging modern AWS infrastructure.
Our ideal candidate has a background in creating systems or applications that solve a real need, follow best practices, and are extensible and scalable.
Why you will love this opportunity:
Our team is driving exploration and new avenues in Amazon Search, and work on topics that are challenging and exciting from both a business and a customer perspective. We’re a fun, highly collaborative team that loves to work together at large scale.
Impact and Career Growth:
As a member of the Search team, you will contribute directly to the experience of our customers worldwide, affecting many millions of people with the code you write and the systems you design. You’ll have the opportunity to contribute to the roadmap and future plans of the team, and to drive processes and change.
Key job responsibilities
• Create and maintain new and existing features across a range of projects
• Work with others on our team and other teams to come up with solutions to ambiguous, complex problems
• Create technical designs for new software components and new systems
• Think with a customer focus about what we’re building and what we plan to build — will it delight people?
A day in the life
You’ll spend your time designing and building primarily, and will also take time to mentor and collaborate with others on the team, review designs and code, drive and lead projects, and save space to further your own learning and think abstractly about new projects and directions.
About the team
We’re a team of 8 engineers from varied disciplines and with backgrounds from around the world who thrive creating an inclusive, fun, supportive, and inventive environment for our customers. We balance technical excellence with business merit, and are always on the lookout for ways to improve both the team, our own skills, and the whole of Amazon. When we’re in the office, we overlook the Meguro river, giving us a prime Japan experience.
• A degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience and expertise
• A deep and internalized understanding of data structures, algorithms, and development best practices
• Strong idiomatic coding skills in one or more common programming languages (Java / Scala / C++ / JS / Python / etc) and ability to leverage new languages as required
• Independent drive to further your own skills, and those of your team, while creating world-class experiences for customers
• Business-level English ability (written and spoken)
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• Experience and/or a strong interest with machine learning software systems, big data software systems, data mining, modern methods for parallelized processing of large, distributed datasets (e.g. Spark, Hadoop, Map-reduce) and/or statistical analysis tools.
• Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers or software developers
• Experience collaborating with other engineers and stakeholders to collect requirements, describe software product features and technical designs.
• Experience with Scrum and Agile development methodologies
• Business-level Japanese ability
Please check the website below for measures to eliminate unwanted second-hand smoking in each facility:
The salary information will be provided individually prior to the 1st interview.