Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
The Amazon Web Services’ (AWS) Event Technology team is looking for a Sr. Front End Engineer, Video Tech with a passion for working on cutting edge technology, someone who obsesses over bar raising experiences for customers, and that thrives on the challenge of building something new that will operate at worldwide scale to join our fast paced team. In this role, you will be responsible for implementing new, creative, and innovative user experiences across a breadth of customer facing streaming media applications while using a set of modern media frameworks and technologies.
What you will work on: The Events Technology team is building a new platform entirely on cutting edge AWS services – including Elemental, CloudFront, API Gateway, Lambda, SQS, DynamoDB and more, with state-of-the-art open source front end frameworks, libraries, and toolchains to deliver a set of highly scalable, performant, serverless, and responsive webapps for our global events organization. Your work will have high visibility across the AWS team and global AWS community of developers and users.
What we are looking for: We are looking for a talented Front End Engineer who work closely with our UX Design team and be responsible for the implementation, testing, and deployment, of a wide range of user interfaces and user experiences, integrating your work into the full CI/CD pipeline of the engineering team. The ideal engineer will have a commitment to team work, enjoy working on cutting edge technology in a fast-paced environment, is customer centric, and thrives on the challenge of building something new that will operate at worldwide scale.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Role is open to: Boston, Seattle, NYC, Arlington VA, Dallas, Atlanta and Denver.
- Experience with object-oriented design
- Development of single-page video apps from the ground up supporting desktop, mobile or OTT clients
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Experience with modern web technologies and techniques such as HTML5, CSS3, CSS frameworks and CSS pre-processors
- Experience with responsive and mobile design, as well as cross-browser development and testing
- Experience building rich data-driven web applications by consuming REST or GraphQL APIs
- Video streaming knowledge, experience with container formats, e.g. DASH, HLS, CMAF, MPEG-4 etc and player frameworks such as VideoJS.
- Track record delivering large customer features and front-end solutions in complex or ambiguous problem areas
- Understands at a high level how front-end code and experiences are delivered to users (e.g., HTTPS, DNS, CDNs, app stores).
- Understands front-end software best practices including client side performance optimization and how to mitigate information security risks
- Thinks in terms of architecture as well as code. Able to evaluate end-to-end designs for strengths and weaknesses (e.g., complexity, quality, scalability, latency, security, performance, data integrity, etc.)
- Understands software engineering best practices (e.g. automated pipelines, Operational Excellence, Information Security) and sets front-end software and UX implementation standards
- Demonstrated UI implementation experience, and with a portfolio of work that demonstrates detailed attention to typography, color, imagery, motion, and graphic elements
- A passion for creating beautiful, engaging, intuitive, efficient and highly usable user interfaces
- Familiar with emerging trends in desktop, web, and mobile app development
- Experience with deployments, dev ops, and/or AWS
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.