Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Leverage Data Science to make multi-million dollar business decisions more Science and Data Driven.
In this role you will support Consumer Hardware device concepts (TVs, Kindles, Drones; you name it) from innovative idea inception to launch. You will work on a Data Science team tackling very difficult business questions and then scaling those Statistics and Econometrics solutions across Amazon Devices and beyond.
Key job responsibilities
In this role you will be leveraging Data Science to support multi-million dollar one-way door business decision meetings often on topics such as whether to invest in a new hardware product or not (think startup funding but within Amazon), build decisions around how many hardware devices to manufacture prior to receiving any customer signal, and pricing decisions around how to price and promote products and services. To support these decisions initially you will leverage existing science models and tools available within the team.
Over time you will take a more active role in building and improving those models with better science and data along with expanding scope into new modeling spaces. Example models include but are not limited to leveraging survey data for causal inference modeling, demand forecasting, leveraging econometrics for hypothesis testing, experiments designed around customers seeing different price points, and NLP to map concept devices to those that exist today and have data we can leverage. Some of your work will be customized deep dives into ambiguous topics where data science and data can help remove ambiguity like how Amazon customers shop to inform their substitution patterns, how churn rates on subscriptions feed into their financial viability, and how complementary goods can increase attach rates between devices and accessories. Other work will flow into roadmaps supported by PMs and SDEs seeking to embed the models into internal to Amazon tools to enable us to better scale which will have a heavy coding component associated with them.
About the team
This role is on the Decision Science team, a group within Device Economics that support’s Amazon’s Devices and Services teams that build hardware and software ranging from Kindle Paperwhite to Blink Video Camera subscriptions to FireTV OS to the Amazon’s Astro robot. We operate as an internal to Amazon consulting team where working cross-functionally between Product Managers, Economists, and Data Scientists we can deliver high quality solutions, scale them to other use cases, and learn from each other’s wide and varied strengths so we’re all making career progress together.
In practice, in addition to the primary job location on this job rec we are open to considering locations near major Amazon hubs including but not limited to Arlington VA (HQ2 near DC), Austin TX, Boston MA, Denver CO, Los Angeles CA, Seattle/Bellevue WA, San Diego CA, Toronto Canada, and Vancouver Canada.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
- 2 years working as a Data Scientist
- Undergrad degree in Economics, Business, Finance, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Supply Chain or related field
- 3+ years of experience in a stakeholder or customer-facing role
- 3+ years business experience conducting analyses
- Experience with statistical models e.g. multinomial logistic regression
- Comfort dealing with ambiguity
- Works backwards from the customer to solve their problems
- Excellent communication
- Masters, MBA, or PhD degree in Economics, Business, Finance, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field
- Longer work history than represented in the basic qualifications
- Experience working with Scientists, Economists, Software Developers, and/or Product Managers
- Experience in Consumer facing Hardware or Services
- Experience in survey design and datasets
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.