Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Alexa is the groundbreaking cloud-based intelligent agent that powers Echo and other devices designed around your voice. Our mission is to push the envelope in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), and Machine Learning (ML), in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers. We’re looking for a Software Development Engineer to help build industry-leading conversational technologies and machine learning systems that customers love.
As a Software Development Engineer for the Alexa AI team, you will be responsible for translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables with the design, development, testing, and deployment of highly scalable distributed services. You will also partner with scientists and other engineers to help invent, implement, and connect sophisticated algorithms to our cloud based engines. Prior domain knowledge including AI, ML, and NLU is a preferred, though not required. However, strong motivation to learn ML, AI and NLU is critical for successful candidates. Candidates should also be very agile in developing flexible software with respect to scientific, experimentation methods, and usage patterns. Additional responsibilities include:
• Designing, developing, and maintaining core system features, services and engines
• Helping define product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product
• Working with scientists and other engineers to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology, and evaluate technical feasibility
• Operating in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
We are looking for an engineer that is comfortable working with engineers, scientists, and data engineers to deliver a new Alexa capability to make Alexa smarter. You will build software to improve Alexa’s decision-making system which is akin to a search engine. The team is growing and we are looking for the right engineer to help deliver this vision.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or related technical field
• 5+ years experience with programming languages such as C/C++, Java, Perl or Python and open-source technologies (Apache, Hadoop)
• 5+ years experience with OO design and common design pattern
• 5+ years experience with data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or related technical field
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility trade-offs
• Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities
• Ability to prototype and evaluate applications and interaction methodologies
• Ability to produce code that is fault-tolerant, efficient, and maintainable
• Academic and/or industry experience with standard AI and ML techniques, NLU and scientific thinking
• Experience working effectively with science, data processing, and software engineering teams
• Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly
• Written and verbal technical communication skills with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.