Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Does the idea of setting the strategic direction for product knowledge highlighting all of Amazon’s mammoth selection and services from door knobs to books to dishwasher installation to things that haven’t even been invented yet sound challenging? Do you want to help use data to make finding and understanding Amazon’s product space easier?
We are looking for a smart and passionate leader to join our Product Knowledge leadership team as a Principal Ontologist. This person will help design and build world-class, intuitive, and comprehensive product knowledge and ontologies to optimize product discovery and classification across Amazon. As a Principal Ontologist you will have the opportunity to build global strategies for Product Knowledge, design new processes, data structures, and semantic data types.
Principal Ontologist Responsibilities:
- Work with Product Knowledge management to set direction for ontology, schema measurement, data modeling processes and driving interoperability across systems
- Design and create upper-level ontology, including entities, objects, relationships and properties needed to describe products
- Influence across a broad range of engineers, designers, business owners while impacting both manufacturers and customers
- Evangelize the role of Ontology and metadata management at Amazon.
- Analyze website metrics, customer behavior data and industry trends to make intelligent decisions on how we can provide the best data for customers and internal users
- Own business requirements related to product knowledge tools, metrics and or processes
- Help make the right decision for internal and external customers and systems operating on the ontology
- Master’s degree in Library or Information Science or equivalent professional experience
- 8+ years in an Ontology, Taxonomy or Metadata management role focused on modeling data for both customer engagement and systematic processing
- Demonstrated knowledge of upper-level ontology, taxonomy, controlled vocabularies, data modeling and classification
- Proven experience leading tool migrations, new data initiatives or otherwise building new solutions for ontology problems.
- Excellent project management skills and experience managing complex roadmaps.
- Proficiency with RDF, OWL, SPARQL or similar technologies
- PhD in Information Management, Library Science, or equivalent degree
- Experience designing product ontologies, including localization
- Proven ability to work and deliver effectively in cross-functional teams
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Great verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical and metadata information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working in production environments with aggressive deadlines
- Passionate about website usability and the role of metadata in improving customer shopping experiences
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.