Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Are you passionate about leveraging data to deliver actionable insight that impacts daily business decisions for Amazon? Does the prospect of dealing with massive volume of data excite you?
Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) powers the physical engine at the heart of Amazon Retail. AFT builds and operates software, hardware, and processes that run the global network of fulfillment centers that move many millions of units of inventory, employ hundreds of thousands of employees, and ensure that customers get what they want when we promised we would get it to them. We do this by building automated solutions to handle things that technology does well, while relying on people to handle things that humans do well.
Amazon has a culture of data-driven decision-making, and demands business intelligence that is timely, accurate, and actionable. Our ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, relishes working with large transactional volumes and big data, enjoys the challenge of highly complex business contexts (that are typically being defined in real-time), and, above all else, is a passionate about data and analytics.
As a Business Intelligence Engineer you will be conducting large scale data analysis and providing business insights based upon data to further improve our operations and processes. Identifying non-existent data fields to improve existing KPIs would be a key responsibility for this role. Understandings around internal fulfillment center operations will be a plus.
A successful candidate knows and loves working with business intelligence tools, is comfortable accessing and working with big data from multiple sources, and passionately partners with the business to identify strategic opportunities and deliver results. You should have an internal drive to answer “why?” questions, excellent analytical abilities, strong technical skills, as well as superior written and verbal communication skills. S/he would be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, able to think big (while paying careful attention to detail), and enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
Key Responsibilities Include
You will also have the opportunity to display your skills in the following areas:
- Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
- Use data mining, model building, and other analytical techniques to develop and maintain customer segmentation and predictive models to drive the business.
- Respond to high priority requests from senior business leaders.
- Learn and understand a broad range of Amazon’s data resources and know when, how, and which to use and which not to use.
- Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and Redshift.
- Interface with business customers to gather requirements.
- Model data and metadata to support ad-hoc and pre-built reporting.
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions.
- Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation.
- Tune application and query performance using Unix profiling tools and SQL.
- Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for secondary datasets
- Help answer challenging business questions for implementation through technology ultimately delivered to business and operations partners.
- Experience with data visualization using Tableau, Quicksight, or similar tools
- 3+ years analyzing and interpreting data and experience with Redshift, Oracle, NoSQL etc.
- Experience in writing complex SQL queries
- Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
- Bachelors degree in a quantitative field such as Business, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Statistics or Operations Research.
- 5+ years experience as a business analyst, data scientist or similar job function
- Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations
- Design, implement, and support infrastructure providing secured access to large datasets.
- Verbal/written communication & data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Advanced degree in Math, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline
- Experience with Python, R, or other statistics/machine learning packages
- Demonstrated ability to frame complex analytical problems and extract insights that led to tangible business results
- High-level knowledge of various machine learning techniques and key parameters that affect their performance
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.