Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Are you excited to work on a product which is used by millions of customers on a daily basis? Come and join the Alexa Timers team. Our team owns several high volume features and we believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with technology across many domains and are looking for people that will help us shape the future of Alexa.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to drive and define the technology and product vision for how Alexa helps in the household. We see Alexa acting as a personal assistant for the house, helping household members organize their daily life and tasks. As a Software Development Engineer in the team, you will contribute to define the software architecture to support this vision and work in a team of developers to implement it with you. You will work closely with your product and development counterparts to make sure we incorporate customer input into our new service and define requirements to meet technical options. In addition, you will collaborate on cross organizational projects, ensuring our service and other Amazon services are designed to work in conjunction.
We are looking for passionate, hard-working, and talented Software Engineers who have experience building innovative, mission critical, high volume applications. You will have an enormous opportunity to make a critical impact on the design and architecture of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know.
A day in the life
You will be collaborating with your peers to find solutions to build and improve our services. Your peers include other engineers, voice designers, program managers and product managers. You will work in groups to find the best solution for our customers and build and maintain the software to bring those solutions to our customers.
- Define or the architecture of software solutions, determining current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, selection of new concepts and methodology, and development of core systems/components.
- Lead coding and software development of a complex, cross-functional, customer facing program.
- Design and implement system architecture and underlying components. Establish design principles, select design patterns, and instill best practices for software development across multiple teams
- Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
- Work effectively with team members to gain consensus on technical decisions and execute them. We have a big task and collaboration with other development engineers is key for success.
- Ensure that appropriate software engineering practices are employed to deliver high quality results.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Design and architecture experience, as well as sound knowledge with object oriented design patterns
- Experience working on a large scale deployments and performance tuning
- Engineering process experience with the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) principles
- Mastery of the tools of the trade, including a variety of modern programming languages
- Masters and/or PhD degree in Computer Science
- Experience with Agile Development techniques
- Demonstrated project management skills across multiple stakeholders. Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
- A deep understanding of distributed and service-oriented architectures. Delivered large scale commercial enterprise software systems or large scale online services
- Excellent judgment, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Outstanding written, presentation and communication skills
- Driven to provide the best customer experience
- Fast learner, enjoy a fast paced environment, and driven to get issues to conclusion
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.