Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Our team is part of Amazon’s innovation incubator and is a central place for the development of new and novel ideas, from prototype phase to market. Products that have successfully incubated and launched are Amazon Care, Comprehend Medical, Echo Frames, Amazon Explore and Amazon Glow. We are looking for deep thinkers, innovators and technical entrepreneurial leaders to join our emerging product development as we embark on building the next big idea!
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
This Mechatronics Engineering position will help design innovative and fully functional systems in a highly novel domain. This will involve designing and fabricating a series of prototypes, from bench, proof-of-concept models to more locked-down versions that focus on compiling findings down to eventual product.
Key Functional Attributes:
• Work in a cross-disciplinary setting with the ability to influence others.
• Work has a profound and far-reaching impact on understanding the domain.
• Advises peer engineers and management team.
• Deep-dive and perform root cause analysis, along with quick experiments.
• Aggregate and analyze relevant data to inform decision making.
• Make technical tradeoffs between short- and long-term project goals.
• Develop integrated systems with flexibility for change.
Teamwork will be critical for this team to accomplish its goals. We’ll be working as a team and depending on others to achieve the required work. As a mechanical and mechatronics engineer, you will be exercising your multidisciplinary skills and working with both internal and external groups, including manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
Key Job Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with internal and external ecosystem partners to design and develop a novel system and product.
• Support material science team to explore and validate the possibilities for the overall system.
• Use modular and flexible componentry to make rapid headway with an eye towards productization.
• Provide technical subject matter expertise to peers, senior management, and partner teams.
• Develop technical and business justification and narratives to explain and promote findings.
• Utilize embedded computation, sensing, and actuation to characterize process and meet product targets.
• Work with suppliers and manufacturers to specify appropriate mechanical and associated sub-components.
• Provide product design and mechatronics support to other team members.
• Write functional specifications, design verification plans, and functional test procedures.
• Having fun and offering creative, out of the box solutions.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in mechanical engineering. Will consider equivalent experience.
• 7+ years of experience in mechatronics design and product development.
• Thorough understanding and use of principals, theories and concepts in mechanical engineering.
• Masters or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering.
• Deep understanding of mechatronics systems embedded computation, sensing, and actuation.
• Prior experience working with an interdisciplinary team to execute product designs from concept to production, including specification, design, prototyping, validation, and testing.
• Experience with entire lifecycle and proficiency at completing tasks to meet associated milestones.
• Comfort working with novel materials using testing and experience to guide product development.
• Hands-on skills with machine tools, hand tools, 3D printing, electronics assembly, etc.
• Proficiency with CAD/CAM, and familiarity with FEA and CFD-based analysis tools.
• Demonstrated understanding of engineering documentation, electrical and mechanical diagrams, and standard operating procedures.
• Experience designing systems that include heating and airflow, liquids, and power electronics.
• Knowledge of industry standards such as UL, IEC, ISO, ANSI, etc.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.