Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
AWS Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) Santa Clara team is looking for a Senior software development engineer to help us define and build the future of computing. The EC2 Santa Clara team delivers high-performance applications and solutions for EC2. As a member of the EC2 team, you’ll work alongside outstanding engineers and leaders, refine product requirements with product and program management, define architecture, and be a leader in the implementation and launch of new products.
As a key member of the engineering team, you will have influence on our product strategy by helping define the product features, refine system architecture, and spearhead best practices that enable a quality product. And you will be successfully setting the foundation for the next phase of the product and beyond. A commitment to teamwork, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating a reliable, scalable, and high-performance service requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about building good software as well as making that software achieve its operational goals.
All team members actively participate in product definition, technical architecture review, iterative development, code review, and operations. Along with this, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with customers to ensure their needs are met — clear, professional communication with teammates and customers is an important part of the job.
The ideal candidate will be clearly passionate about start-up opportunities, and have a demonstrated track record of success delivering new features or products. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high-quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast. He or she has strong OO design and implementation experience with knowledge of web services and cloud architecture.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
“Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation/Age”
“Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.”
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- BS in CS/EE or related field with 10+ years of experience or MS in CS/EE with 7+ years of experience.
- Solid hands-on development experience in Java or C++.
- Proven track record of leading the delivery of high-quality systems.
- Background in Containers (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos etc.)
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills. Comfortable in fast-paced, start-up like development environments.
- Experience creating architecture for large-scale distributed systems and a passion for building and operating highly-available services.
- Experience in full-stack development using J2EE technologies is a plus.
- Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills.
- Experience hiring and mentoring junior engineers
- Experience with enterprise cloud software a plus
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation