Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
The Futures Design team is looking for a Principal Design Lead to help Amazon experience what it’s like to live in the future, today. This role reports to the head of Futures Design, and works closely with the team’s Design leadership, to drive design impact across our portfolio. You will envision and shape future Amazon devices and services anywhere from 3 to 10+ years in the future.
You will be responsible for leading teams to create and deliver high value elegant and intuitive conceptual experiences that engage and delight customers. Your leadership will inspire, empower, and guide the team to create innovative designs, drive the end-to-end customer experience and enable customers to interact and engage in all that Alexa and Amazon offers. You should have deep knowledge and practical experience in hardware and software design, from concept creation to development and release, and you should possess excellent communication abilities. You should feel comfortable working with ambiguous programs, and be able to deliver strategic thinking across programs, resources and how that work would impact other teams and products across Amazon.
Key job responsibilities
- Define and drive the UX vision for new categories and concepts that impact customers and Amazon roadmaps
- Operationalizing customer-obsessed device and service concept explorations
- Lead product design for new-to-world features for emerging devices, hardware, and software capabilities
- Lead concept development in ideation sessions and design reviews
- Lead virtual team to create customer journeys and use cases in storyboards, wireframes, visual mockups, and prototypes that define the product vision
- Identify user research needs for ideation and validation
- Evangelize concepts and design to diverse audiences across Amazon
- Use business requirements, market research, and customer feedback to assist in developing scenarios, use cases, and high-level requirements
- Dive deep on consumer insights, product analytics, and competitive intelligence to drive product innovation
- Identify opportunities to invent and experiment with new technology and interaction patterns
- Inspire, mentor, and develop other designers in the studio
A day in the life
You will inspire the team to think big and explore new ideas, Invent and Simplify to turn potential and preferable future thinking into tangible solutions and experiences. You’ll do this through insisting on the highest standards for interaction and visual design patterns, Hire and Develop the best talent in the industry, and build trusted partnerships with a variety of design, product and engineering teams. You will work to identify, define, and teach best practices within the organization and the broader design community to unify design processes, foster innovation and improve efficiency.
About the team
Amazon’s Device and Services Design Group (DDG) is a central design studio responsible for developing products and platforms, from the Echo to Alexa Communications, and Fire TV and Tablet.
- 10+ years Professional experience as a UX, product, or interaction design manager
- 15+ years of experience designing complex consumer-facing digital products, mobile, or web experiences
- A strong portfolio of personal and team design work that demonstrates human-centered design process and business success
- Experience hiring and leading design teams that deliver end to end experiences (user flows, wireframes, prototypes, high-fidelity visuals)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Experience with multimodal or voice design
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Passion and high bar for your craft
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.