Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Come build the future of cloud with the Amazon Linux Team!
The Amazon Linux team builds, maintains and distributes both internal and external (public) versions of Amazon Linux Distributions. Externally, Amazon Linux Distributions serve as the reference implementation for Linux offerings on EC2, the Elastic Compute Cloud that is the basis for much of Amazon Web Services (AWS). Internally, Amazon Linux serves as the primary foundation upon which much of Amazon’s infrastructure is built. We’re also responsible for tools associated with the performance characterization, telemetry, qualification, build and deployment of our Linux Distributions.
Systems Development Engineers work with technical leaders to refine technical direction, and then follow through with detailed analysis, designs, and superior code. They are equally comfortable leading small, focused project teams as well as making major direct contributions to the project. They deliver features with minimal direct oversight.
The baseline individual for this role is expected to be comfortable with Linux fundamentals, building distributed systems and automation (preferably in Python or similar languages). Willingness to learn and contribute to Linux Packaging (RPM /Debian) are a must.
Experience with system development (in C,C++, Rust etc), Linux packaging (RPM/Debian) and open source contributions is a plus.
This team creates the very core of the cloud – come help us make history!
Location: Open to Seattle, WA; Herndon, VA; and Boston, MA areas.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
For more information on Amazon Web Services please visit: http://aws.amazon.com
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 3+ years’ experience in information technology
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years’ experience in 2 or more technical areas (Linux/Unix , Security, Networking, software development) or relevant experience in a similar field
- 3+ years’ experience in deploying and supporting applications and infrastructure in a 24×7 production environment
- 5+ Years of industry experience focused on Linux.
- Experience with Debian / Ubuntu packaging
- Experience with RPM packaging
- Skilled in at least two of Python, C , C++, rust
- Experience building and/or maintaining a Linux distribution
- Experience working with the open source community.
- Experience with distributed systems architecture and related technologies.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.