Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Would you like to be part of a communications team that is building awareness about how cloud technology is helping to accelerate India’s startup ecosystem? Are you passionate about the rapid change technology enables, and the positive impact it is having on people and the world around us? Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the leading provider of cloud computing services, providing IT infrastructure offerings ranging from on-demand compute capacity to storage, content delivery, and database services, to machine learning, Internet of Things, serverless technologies, and more. The AWS Public Relations (PR) team is at the forefront of shaping communications around the most advanced technologies on the planet and helping customers showcase how they are maximizing the benefits of cloud computing.
AWS seeks a self-motivated, well-connected, and experienced public relations professional to pioneer a newly created role supporting India’s Startup business, a high-performing team committed to helping startup entrepreneurs at every stage of their growth journey from inception to IPO. This role will partner with the local leadership team to drive a specialized communications program designed to raise awareness of AWS’s extensive involvement in, and support of one of the most dynamic startup ecosystems in the world. From identifying and sharing new stories of startup customers’ experiences building innovative businesses on the cloud, to driving thought leadership campaigns that communicate AWS’s value to startups, this is an opportunity to effectively be the founder of AWS India’s Startup PR program.
Key job responsibilities
• Develop and execute effective communications strategies for AWS India’s Startup business through a sustained, strategic, program that supports local business objectives
• Create compelling content with AWS’s startup customers to generate powerful stories about the transformational impact of cloud technology in India
• Foster strong relationships with business stakeholders, customers, ecosystem partners, key journalists and influencers, and AWS’s local and global PR teams
• Write and edit media alerts, pitches, PR plans, blogs, bylined articles, and related materials
• Devise and execute new communications campaigns designed to promote AWS’s support of India’s startup ecosystem, and champion customer success
• Amplify marketing events and initiatives, including AWS Summit and AWS re:Invent, with media relations programs including news announcements, educational media briefing content, and one-on-one engagements with AWS executives and customers
A day in the life
The candidate must have proven experience managing communications programs in India, including extensive experience with project management. This role is a strong partner to the Startup team, and will develop earned and owned content for the business, and establish processes and best practices for collaboration. They will also work closely with AWS’s local startup customers and ecosystem partners for PR outcomes.
The right candidate possesses extensive media relations expertise, has excellent writing skills, can exercise high-judgment while acting quickly, and can work cross-functionally within a matrixed team of regional and global PR functions, subject matter experts, and internal stakeholders, both in India and overseas.
The ideal candidate is motivated by a highly creative and dynamic culture where the challenge of breaking new ground and redefining best practices is welcome. They thrive on figuring out what to do and making it happen, sometimes in complex and ambiguous environments. This role is based in New Delhi or Bangalore, and will require domestic and international travel.
• Minimum of six years’ public relations experience
• Fluent written and verbal English
• Experience working directly with technology businesses, and developing their stories
• Proven experience managing large projects
• Experience with India’s technology, business, and startup media landscape
• Able to work cross-functionally within a matrixed international team
• Understanding of, and passion for, the startup ecosystem, and empathy for the unique needs and experiences of a founder
• Ideally have experience working for or with startups
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Team player who is willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done
• Strong relationships and network of local media contacts
• Strong strategic thinking, analytical, and organisational skills, while also staying on top of tactical execution
• Self-manager who can figure out what to do and make it happen, sometimes in complex and ambiguous environments
• Relentlessly high standards
• Outstanding attention to detail
• Creativity and bias for action
• Comfortable with remote management
• Proven track record of insisting on the highest standards and ability to deliver strong results on program objectives