Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
This role well help large development organizations to further improve the security of their services while reducing manual effort by writing code and influencing the design of new security services that leverage AWS, machine learning and modern architectural designs implemented primarily in Java. The candidate will work in an Agile development cycle and have the opportunities to grow their security knowledge collaborating with a group if security subject matter experts.
Key job responsibilities
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
The Role: • Architect and implement high quality, stable and scalable java based web applications • Follow security-best practices in all software development • Support the security team in code analysis • Document and provide training to members of the security team • Process bug reports and apply patches • Participate in code reviews • Mentor more junior software developemnt engineers.
Note: While the majority of our Security/Privacy roles are based in the Bay Area, CA and Seattle, WA areas, by applying to this position your application will be considered for all locations we hire for in the United States, including but not limited to: Seattle, WA; Bellevue, WA; Sunnyvale, CA, Austin TX.
A day in the life
For a day in this role, the engineer will work on service design, write-code in Java, participate in code and design reviews, participate in stand-ups and Scrum meetings. The engineer will periodically take lead presentations on the service and it’s use to members of the larger Digital Security group, other security teams and product teams/product leaders. The engineer will be working to refactor code where needed, research libraries and tools we can leverage and of course, fix bugs.
About the team
The Digital Security group works on the security of Amazon’s first party devices and the services that power them.
The team within Digital Security this role belongs to focuses on developing security solutions to help improve scaling and further improve the security of our services. This allows out product teams to protect our customers while moving fast to delight customers with new and secure features.
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or Equivalent
• 7+ years of experience developing in Java
• Master’s degree in Computer Science
• Software development experience with Java
• Experience with Python scripting
• Experience building scalable web applications using HTTP, REST, JSON, NOSQL and XML
• Experience developing applications on AWS
• Experience applying Machine Learning (ML) to solve problems and improve efficiency
• Detail-oriented, can identify and fix own bugs, and write quality code that runs efficiently
• A background in or passion for security is preferred
• Enjoys working in a team that follows Agile practices and embraces unit testing, code reviews, and CI
• Good verbal and written skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.