Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon is looking for a passionate, talented, and inventive Applied Scientists with a strong machine learning background to help build industry-leading Speech and Language technology. This includes delivering innovative HR experiences for our employees. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. The Employee Services Technology (ES Tech) is growing rapidly and is looking for a talented senior applied scientist to create massive scale and powerful new solutions that our customers need to be successful. In this role, you will work to establish world class data science, analytics and reporting for Amazonians as part of building the Personalization Engine for myHR. This key role will work closely with internal partners to assist in developing and managing solutions for ES Tech. We are looking for candidates who want to invent the future for employee engagement.
This role will be the science lead for all key ML and forecasting initiatives, responsible for building models and prototypes for ES Tech division, and will require close collaboration with other scientists on the team that are developing state-of-the-art optimization algorithms to scale. This team plays a significant role in various stages of the innovation pipeline from identifying employee needs, developing new algorithms, prototyping/simulation, to implementation by working closely with colleagues in engineering, product management and employee benefits.
A day in the life
About the hiring group
As a Senior member of the scientist team, you will play an integral part on our machine learning org with the following technical and leadership responsibilities:
• Help the team define the forward looking Science roadmap and vision by helping to identify, disambiguate and seek out new opportunities
• Interact with engineering, operations, science and business teams to develop an understanding and domain knowledge of processes, system structures, and business requirements
• Apply domain knowledge and business judgment to identify opportunities and quantify the impact aligning research direction to business requirements and make the right judgment on research project prioritization
• Develop scalable models to derive optimal or near-optimal solutions to existing and new scheduling challenges
• Create prototypes and simulations to test devised solutions
• Advocate technical solutions to business stakeholders, engineering teams, as well as executive-level decision makers
• Work closely with engineers to integrate prototypes into production system
• Mentor and supervise the work of junior scientists on the team for technical development and their career development and growth
• Present business cases and document models, analyses, and their results in order to influence important decisions
• PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
• 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for business application
• Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
• Ph.D. in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics or a related quantitative field
• 5+ years of practical experience applying ML to solve complex problems in an applied environment
• Significant peer-reviewed scientific contributions in premier journals and conferences
• Strong CS fundamentals in data structures, problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis
• Experience with defining research and development practices in an applied environment
• Proven track record in technically leading and mentoring scientists
• Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.