Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon.com strives to be Earth’s most customer-centric company where people can discover virtually anything they want to buy online. The world’s brightest minds come to Amazon.com to research and develop technology that improves the lives of shoppers, developers, publishers, and sellers around the world. Amazon’s vision is to offer the Earth’s largest selection and lowest prices to our customers.
Our Consumer Security teams span over ten countries worldwide, and our focus areas include security intelligence, application security, incident response, security operations, risk and compliance, acquisitions and subsidiaries, and external partner security.
We are looking for Data Engineers with broad technical skills to support our analytics team to deliver on strategic security projects, produce strategic insights, and define/produce end-to-end metrics that enable security and business decisions.
In this role, you will join a team that delivers insights and analytics to elevate our data and security metrics to secure the diverse business functions at Amazon. You will help build a data management and reporting infrastructure that enables our business leaders to leverage data to look around complex business and security challenges across a range of business/security domains. You will help enable multiple dedicated security teams to understand the security posture of the business functions they are supporting, provide the mechanism to constantly prioritize security tasks, and build a mechanism to consistently tell the security story to support the business demands.
This position can be based out of Austin TX, Arlington VA, New York NY, Seattle WA, and Atlanta GA with other locations possible. Relocation available.
Key job responsibilities
As a Data Engineer you will:
-Gather business and functional requirements and translate these requirements into robust, scalable, operable solutions with a flexible and adaptable data architecture.
-Manage AWS resources including Redshift, S3, EC2, Athena, Glue, etc.
-Optimize automated processes for performance and fault tolerance.
-Optimize support for ad-hoc analysis across various data sources
-Collaborate with BI Engineers, Software Engineers, and cross-functionally to deliver high quality data architecture and pipelines.
-Make large and/or complex data more accessible, understandable and usable by applications and teams.
About the team
What makes this role different from all the others out there? Scope! You will get the opportunity to work with every part of our Consumer Security team plus external business stakeholders. You will work on multiple security initiatives that enable diverse Amazon business functions to operate securely and deliver their customer promises.
• 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
• Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
• Experience in SQL
• Excel in the design, creation, and management of very large datasets
• Skilled with writing, tuning, and troubleshooting SQL queries
• Experience with Big Data technologies such as Hive, Spark, Hadoop, NoSQL, AWS EMR, Glue, Lambda, Kinesis, Redshift
• Proficiency with Python or other scripting language
• Expert grasp of software development life cycle and/or agile development environment
• Organizational and planning skills with attention to detail
• Experience in understanding system limitations, scaling factors, boundary conditions, and the reasons for architectural decisions
• Experience in Designing and building scalable data pipelines
• 7-10 years of industry experience as a Data Engineer or related specialty (e.g. Software Engineer, Business Intelligence Engineer, Data Scientist) with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets
• Experience working with AWS big data technologies (EMR, Redshift, S3, Glue, Kinesis and Lambda) or equivalent industry tools.
• Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets.
• Experience working with different SQL/NOSQL databases.
• Knowledge on data lake platform and difference technologies used in data lake to retrieve and process the data.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.