Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon Transportation Services (ATS) is a the global middle-mile transportation organization within Amazon. As part of the transportation, we ship several millions of packages every year to customer on time with high customer excellence. In order to do that, the Data Technology and Products (DTP) team is the data engine behind the successful European operations, providing the data backbone in real time and batch fashion on large-scale cloud architectures. The challenge for you would be to manage the huge amount of data that is produced every second and process it with the minimum lag to be made available as insights to the customers at the shortest time periods. To understand more about the organization, please check out our YouTube video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en5YqrtBGvY
As a Data Engineer, you will help make Amazon the Earth’s Best Employer by improving the job experience for hundreds of thousands of our associates. In this role, you will contribute to build infrastructure to answer questions with data, using software engineering best practices, data management fundamentals, and recent advances in distributed systems (Big Data Technologies). You will work with passionate scientists, business intelligence engineers, software development engineers, product managers and business analysts, to design together and deliver a comprehensive set of stable and performant data architectures to build data stacks complementing software that powers the organization. You are passionate about designing, implementing, and operating stable, scalable, low cost solutions to flow data from production systems into other systems. The role requires someone who loves data, has experience with enterprise information systems, has business sense, and is willing to learn and share knowledge within a team of passionate Data Engineers.
Key job responsibilities
- Be a technical leader that is not afraid to challenge the norms and innovate.
- Help establish the long-term success strategy for managing data lakes and streaming architectures
- Develop relationships with internal and external partner teams to enrich our collection of data.
- Collaborate with peers, ensuring your strategies align with partner development and business teams.
- Develop and mentor junior and new team members.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field and 7+ years industry experience
- 10+ years of hands-on experience hiring and managing teams of Data Engineers and 5+ as a hands-on Data Engineer
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proficiency with at least one Object Oriented language (e.g. Java, Python, Ruby)
- Highly proficient in SQL and knowledgeable about data warehousing concepts.
- Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources
- Experience with AWS Big Data Stack (Redshift, S3, Glue, Lake Formation, SQS, Kinesis etc.)
- Experience providing technical leadership and mentor other engineers for data engineering best practices
- Advanced knowledge and expertise with Data modelling skills, Advanced SQL with Oracle, MySQL, and Columnar Databases
- Demonstrated industry leadership in the fields of Database and/or Data Warehousing, Data Sciences and Big Data processing
- Passion for board games
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.