Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
As a Support Engineer, you act as a subject matter expert for one or more services. You are viewed as a support leader throughout the larger organization and are regularly engaged to work on cross-team planning. You understand the business impact of support decisions. You drive to improve operational efficiency for all services through the identification and development of SLAs, metrics, monitors, procedures, tools, and documentation. You think proactively and work to prevent support issues before they are realized. You participate in design reviews to identify and mitigate support risks. You dive deep into automation issues to identify problems and work with engineering teams to resolve issues impacting fleet performance and availability. You develop automation tools to assist with daily systems administration tasks. You’ll be considered a subject matter expert capable of root causing all platform issues. You design and develop complex high performing scripts and applications. You work to solve performance errors on Linux based systems, using AWS tools, service logs and Linux performance monitoring tools. You work with other Amazon leaders to share ideas and improve support within the company. You take a role in the strategic direction of the team. You demonstrate excellent judgment when making decisions.
Key job responsibilities
- Provides support of incoming tickets, including extensive troubleshooting tasks, with responsibilities covering multiple products, features and services
- Works on operations and maintenance driven coding projects, primarily in Java.
- System software/applications deployment support in staging and production environments
- Develop tools to aid operations and maintenance
- System and Support status reporting
- Ownership of one or more systems or components
- Customer notification and workflow coordination and follow-up to maintain service level agreements
- Work with the team to create a team specific knowledge base and skill set
- Work closely with engineering and business teams to implement and support systems/infrastructure applications for product development such as design simulation, product data management, product integrity/reliability, and prototype builds.
- Work with peers and senior leaders to define and revise the standards for operational excellence across Design Tech’s applications/systems.
- Be able to learn technical concepts quickly with a strong sense of urgency and in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment
- Be creative problem solver, who is passionate about innovation and customer experience.
A day in the life
- Dive Deep while working with customers, troubleshooting, diagnosing, and resolving problems across various services.
- Create and update engineering or customer-facing documentation
- Develop/build tools to enhance the systems supporting our customers.
- Identify customer pain points, raising concerns with engineering, to implement support improvement opportunities
- Experience scripting in modern program languages
- 4+ years of technical support experience in Systems Administration/Cloud Infrastructure management.
- 3+ years of experience in Linux/Unix environments and 1+ years of experience managing Windows environments
- 4+ years’ of experience in a highly technical support role in a software/infrastructure environment
- 3+ years of experience in troubleshooting and debugging technical systems
- 2+ year of experience working with a public cloud provider or related field
- 1+ years of experience with Python and Scripting languages
- Experience with support processes SLA, handling tickets, monitoring, processes and metrics.
- Experience focusing on the positive customer experience
- Engineering degree with computer science or similar background
- Experience in DevOps ecosystem
- Proven experience in handling high impact incidents, perform pattern, root cause analysis and drive to logical closure along with change management practices.
- 5-6 years’ experience in a highly technical support role in a software & systems infrastructure applications.
- In-depth understanding of Python and Scripting languages
- Strong degree of empathy for the customer experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.